Why do my drakes..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bec, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

quack, then stick their head way up tall and then point them straight out forward horizontal with the ground and run in a big circle???? [​IMG] It is quite humorous and always starts up a good conversation with new guests [​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    hmmmm....never seen mine do that...maybe they are just playing ??

3. Bec

I don't know what they are doing...LOL. My older Khaki Campbell drake has always done it (he is 3 now), so I thought maybe it was just him, but now my younger pekin drake (5 months old) does it! It is hilarious! My pekins live in the back yard because they can't seem to get out of their own way. My Khaki lives out of the yard with my goose, they can't be nice to the rest of the flock..besides, they have been married for like ..ever! [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mine did that. Usually right after they had their way with one of the girls. It appears to be a celebratory dance thing [​IMG]

5. Bec

[​IMG] [​IMG] Too funny!

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I noticed that too with my boy, a rouen...same thing...and it does seem to be celebratory.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well call it "taking a victory lap" [​IMG]

8. Bec

Well, I guess I could use that for the older drake, he has his way with the goose, but the younger fella doesn't know how yet....maybe he's just happy that he has 3 girls to himself!!! [​IMG]

9. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    All mine ducks are drakes and they all do it. It's pretty funny. There's one who does it more than the others, I always thought it was a dominant gesture. When mine do it, their feathers stand up on their heads like a tomahawk. [​IMG]

10. Bec

YES! Mine too!!!! Isn't it hilarious!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by