Why do my duck hens look so beat up?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, Aug 8, 2011.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I have 4 pekin ducks, 3 females and 1 drake, and 3 rouens 1 male and 2 females. My Rouen females are looking absolutely beat up there necks have badly any feathers, one of the has bumble foot. Is there anything I can do? More protean? Leave the drakes away from them? Anything because its starting to get bad, anything at all!? Please help me?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The drakes are certainly rough on their ladies, snatching them bald-headed in their attempts to subdue them for mating. You could try to pen them separately or re-home one or both drakes. The leg issue may be helped by giving that duck extra niacin. The liquid baby vitamins without iron, or the niacin powdered capsules. I give my ducks their vitamins dribbled or spread on a bit of bread.

3. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Thanks so much, I'll try that

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separate the drakes from them until autumn. If not molting now, they will probably do so soon and become 'beautiful' once again.

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    The leg issue may be helped by giving that duck extra niacin.

Bumblefoot is not a niacin issue. Bumblefoot is a bacterial (usually staph) infection in the foot. Usually, the best treatment opening the wound to drain the pus and antibiotic treatment and Local application of antibiotic with a local dressing.

Clint

6. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    You could either separate the drakes or get a couple more females.

I'm not an expert, so I hope someone else will jump in here and give some specific advise, but Bumblefoot is an infection that starts with a scratch or nick in the skin that lets bacteria in. It can get very serious, so if you need help treating it, I would take the duck to the vet. I remember when I was a kid, my sister's pet duck had bumblefoot. She lived in our spare bathroom tub for awhile. There was a lot of cleaning and wrapping the foot and antibiotics involved. Eventually the duck died.

Changing the diet won't heal bumblefoot, but if their diet is lacking in some way, it will make all your ducks healthier to get them on a better diet. Also, make sure that your ducks aren't walking on any sort of rough or sharp surface. That will cause injuries that let the bacteria in to cause bumblefoot.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
  8. xIndigoSkyx

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    I do know how to help the bumble foot. I am also adding more females... Some of the ones I bought as eggs.

9. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Ya, I also think the males are over breeding your poor females.

I bet the smallest female is the one taking the most abuse. I know in my group the smallest female is being torn up.
    It makes me sick. I finially pulled the females away from the drakes because the smallest female has a wound on her breast bone! [​IMG]

I am looking into rehoming one of the drakes. it makes me sad, as I like them all and they are pretty....but the abuse they give out is too much for the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by