Why do my girls do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by helenl, Aug 8, 2011.

1. helenl

helenl New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hello

Am relativly new at this - my girls squat down when I come near them, they dont mind being picked up. But was wondering if this is normal....... Are they "expressing" an interest in perhaps a more interesting idea, rather than me picking them up.

Also, I have 4 girls, which have had for about 3 months - what would happen if i bought another 4. Would they play nice or would I have to seperate them??[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    They are being submissive to you... natures was of them helping w/ the mating thing.. So.... if you don't have a roo... tag ,your it [​IMG] Scratch them a bit and still pick them up [​IMG] If they are not laying yet they will be soon [​IMG]

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I love being the rooster for my girls. It's just about the only way that I ever get to pet them.

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    so funny you give the a good pat on the back and they get up and shake! [​IMG]

5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    you rooster you!!!! [​IMG]

6. helenl

helenl New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hmmm not sure I make a good rooster ..... but hey ill give it a go LOL [​IMG]

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Isn't that the truth! I have one group of four girls living in a coop all by themselves for that very reason. All of my other hens (with a roo) don't want me to come anywhere near them.

8. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I have some Australorp hens that don't mind hanging around close to people, but run off when you try to touch them. I went out in the pen today and I was surprised when one came up to me and squatted down. I petted it on the back and it just sat there. I have some Barred Rock roosters in the pen too, but I guess they aren't quite old enough to be the dominate lover boy yet. I didn't try to be amorous with the hen though. Just gave it a peck. [​IMG]

9. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    where does one get decoys eggs

BAZ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by