Why do my hens cover their food with woodchippings and feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lottie uk, Nov 18, 2011.

1. lottie uk

lottie uk New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    I wonder if you can shed some light on this. Recently whenever I go to feed my hens I find they (I think its the hens) have filled up the hopper with the wood chippings from their coop floor and some feathers. There is food underneath, but it is covered by all the chippings and feathers. Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour before and can anyone guess what causes it? It is becoming annoying as I have to tip out all the bark and feathers everytime I feed them and I'm wasting food each time. any help with this much appreciated.

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Because they are pigs. [​IMG] It is not on purpose, but when those chips get flying....! Use your hand and scoop out the muck, or just leave it. The chickens will peck through.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What is your hopper like? Chickens like to scratch around in wood shavings, and straw, and they will really throw it around. I elevate my feeders to "beak level", and that eliminated that problem.

I set mine on wooden crates. Works well.

Sharon

4. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yep, they are pigs! [​IMG]

They LOVE playing around in the wood chips an they go a-flingin' every where!

Elevate their feed bowl/trough. I put my up on bricks.

5. lottie uk

lottie uk New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    The feeder is hanging on the side of the coop about 10cm off the floor. It's been like that for about 2 years without any mess and this has only just started happening so I wondered whether it was because of something else. Maybe I'll lift it slightly higher. The water feeder is on the ground and has always gotten messy, but this is something new with the food. Thanks for the tips with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by