Why do my hens have runny poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katepaws, Dec 22, 2014.

1. katepaws

katepaws Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    I've had my ex battery hens for about two weeks now. They appear to be doing great. They are all eating, drinking, gaining weight and their feathers are growing back. BUT they have had runny poop for the last week. These are my first hens so I don't really know what could be causing their runny poop.
    I am feeding them layer pellets and rolled oats, they get fresh water every morning with apple cider vinegar and tonic in it. They have oyster shell and grit available and meal worms as treats. They have been wormed and de-loused. They are free range during the day and in the coop at night.

I'm worried it's to do with what I've been feeding them because I've been getting conflicting information about how much layer pellets to rolled oats they should be having.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've gotten very attached to my little ladies and don't want them to be unwell.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do the have access to grit? Can you post a picture of their poop?

-Kathy

3. katepaws

Dec 2, 2014
    They do get some grit as they are free ranging but do you think they might not be getting enough? I was trying to find insoluble grit but have had a hard time finding some where that sells it. I have checked their crops a few mornings and they are emptying normally overnight. It's dark now so I can't get a picture right now, but some of it is normal colour, just watery and others is like a golden foamy type poop.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do they look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If so, they might have coccidiosis. For that you will need Corid liquid or powder, which are usually kept in the cattle section of feed stores. I always assume it's a severe out break and treat for that. Here is a Corid dosing picture:

[​IMG]

-Kathy

5. katepaws

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes some of them look like that. Thanks. How do I know if the out break is moderate or severe?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I just always assume it is. Corid is very safe, and most people on BYC always use the severe amount.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by