Why do My Silkie Broodies keep quiting?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Jan 5, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey every silkie girl that has went broody that I have have always quit sitting on their eggs after about a few days or about 2 weeks and the eggs keep dying. Why do they keep doing this?

2. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Because people say that silkies are supposed to be the world's most broodiest chickens!! mine are just dumb I guess...

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I really can't help you but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that. I have 9 silkies that are 5 months old and I can't wait for them to start laying. Now I'm going to be worrying about them quiting. [​IMG]

Maybe I should ask you some questions so when other people get on here they will know.

1. How old are they?

2. How old are the roos with them?

3. How many roos to hens do you have.

4. How long have they been laying?

There, maybe that will give someone an idea. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Maybe they don't like the nest or environment. If they feel threatened they will leave. Do you have the nests in places where they won't be bothered; perhaps a rooster is bothering them, or another more dominate hen chooses to kick them out just to lay an egg, and their scared to go back.

Maybe it's itchy. They may have lice or mites or the nest is infested. Sprinkle 5% sevin dust or DE in the nest, fluff it up and place the eggs in.

It really sounds like something is forcing them off the eggs...Silkies normally wouldn't leave a nest once they're broody.

[​IMG] But, it does happen sometimes, that's why I always have a "backup" broody silkie just in case.

The first time I hatched in the "dead of the winter", I made sure I had at least 3 silkie broodies on just one clutch of eggs. That way if one or two got off, I had a backup.

Tip: Put food and water right within their reach!

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:How much do you leave them alone?

6. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Hey maybe it is that another hen is kicking her out to lay an egg, because she had I kept finding more eggs in the nest than I originally gave her so i finally had to mark her original eggs with a pencil so if I saw an egg without a pencil mark that would mean I needed to take it out.

7. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:How much do you leave them alone?

well In the mornings I let them out to free range in the yard then close the door when they come in at night. I mean sometimes I go out to check on them but i don't really mess them that much.

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:Hey maybe it is that another hen is kicking her out to lay an egg, because she had I kept finding more eggs in the nest than I originally gave her so i finally had to mark her original eggs with a pencil so if I saw an egg without a pencil mark that would mean I needed to take it out.

Well maybe you could close off her nest so the other hens wouldn't lay there. Just keep food and water in there but make sure she can get out for a while each day to "fart around." Close off the nest while she's out, then open it back just for her.

Do you have additional nest boxes for the other hens to lay? Often times mine will lay in a quiet corner and lay their eggs if it's comfy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by