Why do my white birds look yellow?

vetgirl00us

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Rome, GA
I have two gorgeous show quality Belgian Bearded D'uccle roos and I wanted to show them for the fall season. They were very white looking and now it looks like their feathers have turned pale yellow. I have also noticed this in some of OE self blues. What is it? They don't seem to be dirty and mostly it is the hackles and saddle feathers.

I read it can happen from eating too much corn in the feed, but I noticed a yellowish tipped feather near where the hackles would be on a self blue OEGB yesterday. She is about 5 months old, so I am thinking there has to be another reason other than corn in the feed.

Not uncommon in white birds - unless kept in prestine conditions 24/7. Before you show them bath them with a whiting shampoo - lots out there, make sure you rinse well so they do not have a blue or purple tinge. Bath a few days out and put in cages with clean shavings. Good Luck!

I don't have any advice for you, since I have the same problem...Just want to say that your avatar is Awesome!
cool.png

As you have already been advised of many different reasons. If you feed them scraps don't feed them carrots. I made that mistake with my silver Phoenix and he turned a light golden color. I have white silkies that look a bit yellow in places and it could be from them dusting in the dirt or from the scratch. I learned my lesson on feeding carrots. lol

Quote:
I agree, too much sun. Hackle and saddle feathers are most noticeable factor from too much sun. For white show birds it is best to limit exposure to sun(preferably in the morning) .

Back
Top Bottom