Why do Old English Bantams have to be dubbed & how?

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
My son wants bantams for this year's fair project and I am researching, trying to figure out which breeds and narrow it down. I have a friend that will ship me OEB eggs for cost of shipping only but I just saw on Cackle's website that an OEB entered into a poultry show undubbed is automatic disqualification.

It looks like Cackle dubs when they are hatched/before they ship - how is this done, is it bloody, does it cause pain and why is dubbing required?

I'm certainly not set up to have to do this if I hatch my own OEB eggs so maybe that's the cincher - to not even set the eggs.

Dubbing is done so that the bird can conform to its original purpose. Since the original purpose is no longer allowed in the US, there should theoretically be no need to dub the birds.

BUT why should a polish need a crest? Why should silkies need leg feathering? It's part of their standards. Without conforming to the standards, the bird cannot be shown since it does not match the standards guidelines. That's like showing a Golden Retriever with a rat tail and a short coat.

Dubbing later on in life is bloody, but the bird feels no pain. Games are more willing to fight over territory and females and when put at a show next to the rest of the cockerels or cocks, they will fight through the bars. Having the dubbed comb helps to keep them from injuring themselves at the shows and at home. If cold temperatures are an issue where you live, consider it as a prevention method for frostbite.

Removing a spur is more painful than dubbing a bird.

I'm very new to chickens in general and have so much to learn - I'm not sure about a local fair vs a sanctioned show (if that's the proper word). Any advice is welcome
wink.png

Don't bother having it done by the hatchery. It will not be done properly, tis best to wait until they are nearly a year old to allow them to grow.

Like others have said, check the rules of the shows you're going to put him in. You may not have to dub him at all. I'm pretty sure you can show "cockerels" for a short time as undubbed (it depends on how old they are), even in an APA show.

Quote:
Yes, I've never showed before and our fair is a free-for-all.
lol.png
My parents and 4-H Group Leader would like me to get more 'into' the activities, because for the past years I've been going to sleep-a-way camp during my summers, missing the shows.

We have a small coop and I get attached to roos so I'm ordering this year from Meyer's with their small order policy. I asked my leader, having done the proper, responsible research on the BYC, if I'm going to be marked down and given a harsh rep for hatchary stock. She gave me this wierd look like I had five heads and said, "Hon, this is the Orange County Fair, not some fancy poultry show!" So I'm gessing that this isn't taken too seriously, and that's good. I'm only beginning and I DO want to show. I'm going to do my best regardless, knowing that most will have been home-bred.

Another good thing about these non-APA shows is that now I'm expecting little competition. Where we live, chickens are only present for meat and eggs (I'm the exception, having pets.) If production birds won't stand out in the crowd, mine will. Or that's the plan.
wink.png

Sorry for the ramble, but make sure you know what kind of show before you make any hasty decissions that might upset you. I also like the look of games, how exotic and unreal, but I can't seriously see myself dubbing. I'm just not cut out for blood.
hmm.png

Wow, there's been a lot of dubbing questions lately!
big_smile.png

Dubbing is still done for practical reasons today. It's best advantage is to protect birds from injury (and infection) and frostbite. Only the males have to be dubbed for show purposes.

Don't dub males until they are fully mature (about 6-8 months). If dubbed too early, the comb will continue to grow and part of it will grow back after dubbing.

Only cocks are DQed in the show hall, and cockerels after Nov 1 are DQed too. So you can show an undubbed cockerel before that date. Most judges won't DQ a junior bird if it is undubbed, but it certainly will not place higher than second place (standard rules prohibit it... I think, I'll find the excerpt in the Standard when I get home).

Showmanship birds can remain undubbed, but he should be prepared to explain that the bird is not able to be shown and why.

Yes, dubbing is bloody, but it is relatively painless and very safe if done properly. They take about a month to heal (2 weeks is you have skills, lol... yes, that was a completely arrogant statement
big_smile.png
). If you get Old English, ask an old time breeder at the show. Most breeders are more than willing to dub junior birds and share their show secrets too. That's how I learned EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom