Why do people get so worked up about eating a fertilized egg?

M To The Maxx

Baseball+Girls=Life
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Lutz,FL
I do not get why people will not or are afraid of eating a fertilized egg.
idunno.gif

I have to admitt. I am one of those people. I do not have a rooster with my egg layers. I will not eat their eggs if there is a rooster. Just thinking about it. Well you know. But i do have roosters silkies. To have chicks. But i dont eat their eggs from the silkies hens

Don't really know, Maxx. There isn't a chick unless the egg is incubated, so if you really think about it, if you dont want to "kill" a chick, then you should incubate every single fertile egg you get, right? If you don't, then that's the same as eating the egg. The result is no chick from that egg. I've heard some folks think a fertile egg is full of sperm, which is really rather silly, if you know the facts of biology. Can't think of any other reason it should gross out anyone to eat a fertile egg. There is no noticable difference in them, taste-wise or texture-wise.

Have a gal friend that owns a 19.5 ft. Reticulated Python and he won't eat rabbits that are preggersl.
She says that it's because the snake realizes that It might be messing with the potential feeding pool....Maybe we're reptiles?
smile.png

Quote:
It used to be if you wanted to know if your were pregnant they'd ask if the rabbit died.

Now, if a rabbit wants to know if it's pregnant, they'd say, "The snake wasn't hungry"

Quote:
It used to be if you wanted to know if your were pregnant they'd ask if the rabbit died.

Now, if a rabbit wants to know if it's pregnant, they'd say, "The snake wasn't hungry"

big_smile.png
big_smile.png

"Why isn't mom back from the snake?"...."Must not have been pregnant"...lol ...Good thing snakes don't eat much.

Quote:
OT - I used to feed my ball python live. It was what she was used to and she wouldn't eat killed. During a feeding she was once bitten by a pregnant mouse. After that she would never eat another pregnant mouse. She could tell if the mouse was pregnant even if I couldn't.

I've never been grossed out by eating the fertilized eggs. In fact, I had a little trouble adjusting to eating homegrown eggs at first and it had nothing to do with the fact that they were fertilized. They were just different from store bought. I got over that aversion quickly.

Back
Top Bottom