Why do people have roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poultrybonkers, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Like if you have hens wouldn't the eggs be fertile every time? I'm just wondering why people have them. [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Some of us want fertile eggs, especially if we are working on breeding. A fertile egg is still an edible egg, the embryo doesn't develop until it is incubated.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    X2....Also, a rooster will help protect the hens. This is especially helpful if you freerange. A rooster will keep order in the flock. Mine will step in and break up fights between the hens.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Same as above posts, plus I think they compliment the flock........and I like to watch them strut.

5. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    they are pretty [​IMG]

6. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    without a roo, one of your hens will likely take on the role and ride your other hens bald as a form of dominance. You may even get a hen that tries to crow. I call it gender confused when it happens. keep a roo. Once they get past the awkward teenager year they usually settle down and provide a valuable service to your hen house.

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Just because that is how it was intended and having done it both ways I will say there is more harmony within the flock is better with a roo in my opinion, then add the answers above [​IMG]

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, some of mine were bought unintentionally, but I think they're beautiful. I also like their different personalities and being able to hatch my own chicks.

9. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    I love to hear them sing!

10. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    Well, I wasn't going to have a roo at all. I ordered all pullets and one of the "girls" ended up being a boy. I was a little disappointed at first, but now that he's grown up I am really glad that I have him. Not only is he beautiful, but like the posts above, he keeps order in the flock, he protects the girls, and he has a lovely crow-not to mention he's HUGE! He's not quite passed the teen age year, though, and still a little rough on the ladies, but I noticed that they do have feathers coming back in, so he must be going a little easier on them..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by