Why do people raise quail??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by greenmulberry, Sep 27, 2007.

1. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I genuinely am curious, I know that there is somewhat of a market in gourmet foods for their eggs, but not THAT much. Do people eat them? It seems like it would be a chore to process them for food since they are so small. Do they make nice pets?

I see so many hatching quail eggs for sale on ebay, I just wonder what folks do with them. Maybe I would like some quail!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So quail raisers, please tell me what you do with them because I find myself strangely interested in them.

2. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Well for us we raise quail for meat and eggs. While they are work to process for little meat they are good. Now I can't speak for everyone else but around here pickled quail eggs are a favorite. My husband can go through a jar in a day. [​IMG]

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I "tried"quail.. they are very small even the Jumbos.. and really are more work than chickens I thought for not much payoff.. mine finally died.. wouldnt try that endeavor again..

4. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    We will be raising quail next year our area has hardly any quail anymore so we will be releasing them well not all of them but a majority of them to repopulate our area.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I recently ate quail, for the first time in my life and I have to say that it was some of the best meat ever! I would raise them for eating...if we had more space!

Dawn

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I know a couple people around here raising quail....they can't keep up with the demand from the sushi restraurants for quail eggs.

oh...and they're so darn CUTE!

Sandra

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe Jody the Moderator can answer this?

8. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:I am just one state over from you, Iowa, I wonder if we have declining populations of quail as well?

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hi Buff Hooligans...here I am. I had to take a break from reading..my eyes hurt. LOL

Anyways, we raise all of our wild species primarily because we enjoy them. We like having wild birds as our pets. The sound of quail at dusk and dawn is amazing and something you don't hear in the wild anymore. We don't eat the eggs or the birds. We hatch a lot of quail during their lay season and sell the chicks to others who like to raise them just to have them. Some people buy them to train their hunting dogs and others to release perhaps. I don't know anyone who eats them, but I do hear they're good eating.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by