why do people use leg rings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jason180sx, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    why do people use leg rings

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I don't, but from what I have seen, some do for breeding pairs, or to just identify who is who...I am sure there are much better answers out there...but I saw nobody had answered you so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents!

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    For quick indentification. In my flock I have twelve pullets, all different breeds. Each bird is easily identified. If I had twelve white leghorns or twelve black australorps, I'd be struggling to call them by name [​IMG]

Of course, for showing each bird has a numbered legband that matches their entry number.

Deb

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Identification, especially when they all look alike. You can keep track birth dates, pedigrees, etc. Whatever you want to record. You can put a code on the leg and record on a spreadsheet, or a simple ID number, depends on what you need.

5. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I use colored zip-ties to identify who is laying and how often. I put food coloring on their vents to identify the eggs. That is why I do it, and cause a couple of my chickens looks the same.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It also helps if you hatch the same breed from different breeders so you can monitor how they are growing. I use them mainly to tell them apart my line and age. You can stack use a different color combo for leg bands for this purpose.

7. pricechris

pricechris Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Quote:Any old food coloring? How much? How do you apply?

8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:FOOD COLORING!!!! thats a great idea!!
    okay so to answer the qestion and also to have an qestion answered THAT IS WHY I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

ALRIGHT!! so i have two breeds that i use for egg laying they are combo breads so also good for meat RIR and Barred rocks
    thats what i use them for. once they are a year old and passed there major peek of laying i put a band on there legs so i know that they are the older ones that i need to prosses.. now for the pass couple of days my pullets have stopped laying and i have a couple of good yearlings still laying.. now i dont want to sit in the coop all day to figure out who is laying and who isnt so i was tring to figure out whose egg is whos.
    im going to try that. THANK YOU!!
    plus yesterday i culled a chicken that was a good layer she had eggs back to back to back kinda upset with myself because she was a yearling she was marked [​IMG]

forgot to say i have only 12 chickens that i see as "pets"
    the rest have a purpose and when they dont serve that purpose they are culled for another.

9. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Any old food coloring? How much? How do you apply?

I use McCormicks and just catch one, lift eh tail and squirt a little bit into their vent. Make sure you have a different color for each chicken, and you can mix colors if you don't have enough.

10. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I use colored leg bands to tell one generation from the other, in the linebreeding plan. That way, I know which generation rooster is covering which generation hen, and I'm able to keep up with how well their chicks do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by