Why do quail chicks die so eas?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KellyHM, Jan 11, 2009.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It seems like I lose a lot of quail chicks around 3-4 days old. They're fine, zooming around their brooder, then the next time I look they're laid out flat...dead. What's going on?! I know other people that have the same problem too...so at least it's not just me. They have a brooder w/ paper towels in the bottom, a nice warm light (about 98 under the light and 75 on the other end), water w/ pebbles so they can't drown, and game bird feed blended up in the blender so it's small enough for them to eat. Sounds like my set up is right, so why do they die?! [​IMG]

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I've heard that too that they die easily thats why i don't raise quail ONLY chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It sounds like they are being flattened. We always lose quail chicks
    to being mushed, drowning, accidents, or them escaping and the
    dog eating them.

We lose a much smaller ratio on the smaller batches where they can't
    pile up as much.

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I have never lost any quail like that....or really at all. There is always the chick that hatches out with the embryo not fully absorbed. But I have had pretty good luck otherwise. The key with quail is monitor them and give them plenty of room. And feeder/water space.
    [​IMG]

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    idono i ordered 100+ bobwhite eggs off ebay ended up with 120 and 30 broken so i had 90 good eggs but i put the bad one in any way i had 75 chicks hatch out 5 from the bad ones the first week i had 12 die ok the 2nd week i had about 24 die what! the 3 week the last 40 dies NOOO! so i dont know they were all doing so good too.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That's tough. They must have had a disease or your feed may have been
    toxic.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    If the feed is to large they cannot eat which may be a problem you have to grind up the feed very small for them.

8. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    I raise alot of quail and I have never had that problem. I leave mine in a #3 washtub in the house until they are about a week old, under a brooder light with a 100 watt light bulb. In the round tub they cannot pile up on each other. I then transfer them to the brooder out in the barn. they do very well this way.

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:I never have enough at one time for them to pile up...only 4 or 5 max at a time [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by