Why do roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Nov 24, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have a roo and he seems to crow in the morning and then sometime in the afternoon but why does he crow? doesnt seem to be any methode to the madness. He is a very good boy. A gentleman with the ladies and has never chalanged me. he usually keeps about a 5 foot distance from any people.

2. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    It's like a territorial thing. Think of the wild birds in the spring. The males find a tree and sing like crazy. That tells any other males nearby that this is his tree, and his mate, not to dare come near. The rooster is basically doing the same thing. He is telling any other possibly roo's that this is his area, and these are his girls. To not dare come near. He's protecting his "property" from possible rivals.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They will crow more often if there is another nearby rooster--just letting each other know they are armed and ready. Actually, you'd be surprised--or maybe not--at how far they can hear another rooster--that sound really carries and they have better hearing than you or I.

4. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Quote:How far can they hear?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They crow to let other hens and roosters know where they are. They can hear another rooster crow for as far away as 3.2345678 miles.[​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Give or take 0.00000009 miles--depending on the weather. [​IMG] (I really don't know if there is an answer to that.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by