Why do some broody mamas go bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loghousemom, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I have hatched a few times this year with Broodys and never had one like this.

She is a giant white Cochin, and upon checking today she has officially busted every one of her eggs. She had 7 eggs to begin with, the first week a few went missing... Not sure where they went, but when I candled at day 7 she was only sitting on 3. When I candled I noticed one was not developing, but left it in case it was just behind developing. 2 days later I noticed a smell coming from her pen. Went to check it out and she had busted the undeveloped egg and another. The chick from that one was gone. (Eaten?) This morning I went to check, she should have been having the last egg hatch any day, and there are no eggs! None?

I know they sometimes kill off the ones they know are bad, but the entire bunch? What would cause that? Just a bad mama? Too heavy? The eggs do have good sturdy shells.... Just not sure what to do with her now?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Cochins are HUGE chickens, her weight could have easily busted them. Lots of people just buy a couple bantam hens, like silkies, to broody chicks.

3. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    It is possible that she cracked the good ones by accident, then ate them to clean up the mess...it's up to you of course, but I'm not sure that I'd use her again for a broody.

4. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Yes, she is a huge hen, and it is possible it was an accident. I am leaning towards not allowing her to brood again. It stinks a little since I enjoy Broodys raising the chicks more than having to do it myself.

I have considered getting some show silkies for my daughter to use for 4h, and for me to use as broodies, but I have been procrastinating since my other birds are all quite large and I do not have a way to seperate and protect smaller ones at this point.

5. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    If you come across any gold colored Cream Legbars (cheaper than the cream ones), Legbars make great moms too and they're light fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by