Why do some chickens get more infected with diseases and pests than others?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabet253, Jan 4, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    I got some chickens from a friend who I'm treating for scaley leg mites, mites, and I'm guessing they have worms too because they have diarrhea. We bathed them with a dash of anti bacterial soap and apple cedar vinegar raw and organic, we also scrubbed their legs. One chicken had her legs worse than the others, she even had raw skin and her scales were peeling off as we were cleaning and rubbing A&D then petroleum jelly on her. We put it on after the chickens dried, then dusted them with DE and put 4 drops of ivermectin on them. Another chicken looked the healthiest and her legs weren't that bad, but when we bathed her, we noticed her butt was bald and pretty red. I saw these ball clumps on each feather follicle and knew it was something to do with mites from when I was researching about them and stumbled on a picture, but I did forget, what is that ball of clump on the feather follicle? I put petroleum jelly on her butt and am wondering if I what I did was right? I figured the jelly would suffocate the mites like they do on the legs and also calm and heal her skin since it was so irritated. Also I found today that not all of them have diarrhea since I found some normal solid stool. So why do some chickens in the same flock get infected more than others? Also, does anyone know how long to withdraw eggs for? and if I need to treat with ivermectin again? and how often to coat jelly on their legs? and how to know when they're cured and I can add them with my other chickens?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would dust them with Sevin or poultry dust, and follow up with another dusting a week later. You may have to dust several times to kill the ones from the hatched eggs. Then dust them every few months to keep them bug free. That works the best and is the cheapest.

In ailments, chickens each have an immune system and some chickens have a stronger one than others.
    With lice and mites, some are more vulnerable, carry more eggs, or just happen to be the unlucky one. Dawg53 is right, and especially with follow up treatments because 1/2 the battle is killing the bugs as they hatch .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ball clumps on feather follicles if white, are lice, and are easier to get rid of than mites. Sevin dust or permethrin spray or dust should be used on chickens every 10 days for lice, or every 7 days for mites. Mite dropping and eggs are brown or gray. All chickens should be treated. Scaly leg mites need to be treated once a week with oil rubbed into the scales. It helps to use soapy warm water and an old toothbrush to very gently clean the scales. For any of those (mites or lice,) the coop also needs to be emptied and walls, floor, roosts and nests boxes need to be sprayed with Permectrin II (permethrin,) and then clean bedding should be added. Here are some good links to read with pictures to help identify what you are seeing:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/laura_e_john/

4. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    Ivermectin kills both mites and lice.. So why would i buy more stuff? And I think they have mites, we saw a red one running around, I've seen lice and they seem to move very slowly and are brown. I moved them to a new coop and sprayed permithrin around.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ivermectin will kill poultry mites because they bite and suck blood. Poultry lice do not bite and suck blood like cattle lice. Poultry lice feed on feathers, shaft sheathing and skin. However they will opportunistically feed on blood from an injury or wound for example. Unless there's an open wound with blood, ivermectin will be ineffective treating lice, sevin dust kills lice on contact.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Also, Ivermectin won't treat worms.

7. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I don't believe they have lice, I believe it's mites. They were red not brown. I googled up both imagines and they matched up mites.

8. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    But one chicken is still having diarrhea now after 2 weeks of treatment. And I did read the ivermectin works on certain worms.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ivermectin may be effective in other livestock as a wormer, but not in poultry:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
    Give your chicken buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg for several days. Hopefully it'll get her back to normal looking feces.

10. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    If chickens are stressed they are more likely to get sick.. and also more likely to get parasites.

This is because when their bodies are under stress they get run down and can not fight off infections or pests.

They can get stressed many ways.. here are a few

Overcrowding,
    Dirty cages,
    Lack of food
    poor quality food
    bullying from other birds
    Disturbances at night
    Repeated predator attacks

These are just a few.

If they get run down ticks and mites can get out of control because the bird is not preening and cleaning itself property... or the birds cage is not cleaned and the numbers of parasites build up.

These parasites drink the birds blood.. further sapping its strength.. and they bird will pick up diseases very easily.. and not be have the strength to overcome them and get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by