why do some chicks do this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Aug 4, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I've noticed that some of my young chicks (not all) will pick up a footful of chick crumbles drop it in the waterer and pick it back out?? Which kinda irritates me because Im having to constantly change out there water, My grown chickens don't have this behavior, Do you think maybe they would stop doing it if I was to soak their feed with water first. [​IMG]

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Why don't you just get some nipple waterers?

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Actually i hadn't though about it, never heard of people using nipple waters in a brooder before but I suppose they might. Thanks for the thought

4. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Do you have your waterer up on a block, so it is up off the floor? I use a small paver when they are very young and graduate to bigger bricks as they grow. The water stays much cleaner this way.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Move your waterer further away from the feeder. We'd keep our on opposite sides of the brooder, and as they grew, we'd gradually raise them up off of the floor more and more. Minimizes a whole lot of mess.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Actually i hadn't though about it, never heard of people using nipple waters in a brooder before but I suppose they might. Thanks for the thought

I used 2 rabbit bottles in the brooder...worked like a charm....they had it figured it out within 1 hr...Now they are in the coop and I have those same bottle plus a 2 gallon jub with 2 nipples on it....clean water at all times [​IMG]

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I used 2 rabbit bottles in the brooder...worked like a charm....they had it figured it out within 1 hr...Now they are in the coop and I have those same bottle plus a 2 gallon jub with 2 nipples on it....clean water at all times [​IMG]

X2 Agree!!!!!!!

nipples can cost about $2 each & i bought rabbit waterers for $2.50 at TSC for my brooder.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...e-rig-house-trade-water-bottle-32-oz--2179554

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks for the suggestions! the water bottle sounds like a really good Idea! Do they leak? I know when I had my ferrets there bottles always leaked but they were probably just faulty. Thanks again all!

9. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:I miss my ferrets! Used to have 6 of them at one time.

My chicks do the same thing. I put the waterer up a few inches higher than the food. Seems to have worked so far for me.

10. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I used a rabbit waterer too and now I have an avian water miser nipple waterer in the coop. Both are genius and save so much time and effort. My rabbit waterer leaked a little each time they used it but only for a minute and the heat lamp in the brooder dried it up in about 1 more minute. I had to show my little chickies how to use the rabbit waterer a couple of times (I just tapped it with my finger) and then they got it right away. Try it - I bet you'll love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by