1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why do some ducks nibble at everything ??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaChic21, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have 3 ducks, and just one of them loves to nibble at everything. It creaps me out for some reason. If she sees me coming, she will run next to me and nibblee at my shoes, if caught, my fingers, my behind (when I was bending). I have to a broom with me to gently re-direct her. She does this to the other chickens too. I know she doesn't mean any harm, but again it creaps me out. My other two ducks don't have this habbit, if you can call it a "habbit". It's annoying because holding a broom, watching her, same time putting them water and their food all at once is frustrading. Anyone experiencing this constant nibble ?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well if you don't have hands how are you going to check things out???

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    ^
    [​IMG]

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] True, then she loves to check me out :)) They're are so adorable

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"Some" ducks? Don't ALL ducks bill everything?

Wifezilla is right, they don't have hands, they gotta use something to check thing out!

But my Cayuga drake, Louie, loves me lots. Sometimes I get duck hickies on my forearms from his affectionate billing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It seems to me that the smart ducks are more curious and more likely to "bill" everything. The two of my flock most likely to nibble on me are my two little evil genius troublemakers Shelley & Lexus [​IMG]

7. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    My muscovy nibble at me all the time. They especially love my toes. ( Snakeman says thats because they think they are grubs [​IMG]) But my other ducks don't check me out like that. I think it's because my Scovy are smarter and more curious than my others.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They run for my pant legs and shoes and anything else they can get a hold of on me. DH too, but not to the same extent, he just has to be sitting. They run after me to nibble.
    Though I think it is funny when they grab the hair on DH's leg and give a good pull LOL

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I call it duck kisses! My ducks give me kisses while I am sitting outside working. I take it as a sign of affection cos they don't do it to people they don't trust.
    And Wifezilla? Mr Snoogles MY evil genius kisses the most!!!

10. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    the only ducks that do it in my flock are the hens, my drakes never nibble at stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by