1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why do some hens slow their egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Sep 19, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have 6 hens and only 2 and a half are laying. i say a "half" cuz my EE use to lay about 5 eggs a week. now she only lays 2 eggs a week. so out of my 6 girls:

2 - moulting (they have an excuse)
    1 - not laying (no excuse) she's a 7 month old SS and WAS laying but now has stopped and she's NOT moulting....no feathers seen ANYWHERE.
    2 - laying quite well
    1 - EE - slowed to 2 eggs a week

i understand hens stop laying when they moult. but why would my SS stop laying and why is my EE only laying 2 a week? btw, my EE use to lay a light sage green egg, and now they're almost white....i know this means that she is nearing the end of her cycle...do you think that's why she's only laying 2 a week? i thought they would lay like normal, and then stop when they moult. i didn't think they would slow down. also, why the heck isn't my SS laying? also, all my girls are fairly young. the oldest 2 are only a year a half old.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Decreased daylight hours can affect laying. I know here in Ohio, it's already starting to get darker earlier. Is it getting dark earlier your way?

Sharon

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    there is always a chance of having an egg eater.

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i guess a little.....maybe that's it. btw, i'm originally from Ohio! i moved around from Kettering to Hillsboro Ohio as a kid. [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Stress can also be a factor. Are the "loafers" low on the pecking order?

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:you're so right! i've been kinda thinkin that...and kinda looking for signs, but i haven't seen any yolk on beaks or messy nests....but i will look harder.

7. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:yes, my SS can be mean, but she's low on the totem pole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by