Why do some people insist on being rude to others in forums?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Pumpkinpup, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess 10 Years

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I think that it is sad that there are some folks with nothing better to do than post rude, inconsiderate remarks to other peoples threads. I have always tried to be considerate of others when I add a post. There is just no reason for outright rudeness on a family oriented forum.

Folks, either be nice or just don't say anything. Keep your snide remarks to yourself. Lots of us here want to enjoy our forum and be a friendly group with healthy input and support, not a bunch of trolls and grumpy gusses.

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I have never run into anyone being openly rude in their replies on this forum... I think people perceive things a certain way and are easily offended anyway. Either the poster who replies with a snide remark, or the threads originator who feels slighted. All in all people are ugly creatures, society is degrading daily, and our only hope is to be like ducks and let it roll off us like water. Its just a symptom of a broken collective mind. Plus the whole ambiguity of the internet thing...

You're right though, there's no reason for it, its uncalled for, and not proper on a family forum. That stinks that you've run into it often.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess 10 Years

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I have not run into it often but it does on occasion happen. It's unfortunate.
    I just think some folks should consider their words before posting them.
    BYC is a great place to be a part of and overall everyone has been nothing but helpful, kind and considerate. The Mods and Nifty do a great job of looking after things too! [​IMG]
    I don't think they get enough credit for all their hard work.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I agree with what you are saying, but keep in mind that regardless of a forum or face to face, some people take things very personally. This usually ends up in defensivness and turns to out right rudeness.

I have experienced it on here before towards me. I actually found it quit funny that someone would get so angry over my thoughts. We all have opinions and ideas, this is what makes the world go round!!!

[​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    It's easier for people to be rude to others through a computer than face to face. To them it's a computer and a keyboard, it's harder to empathize with.

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:Soooooo true!!!!

7. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It is my opinion that on the forum when one disagrees it is considered a rude statement. I am not one to couch a disagreement with a bunch of preceding disclaimers, I simply state the disagreement.

This more than once has been taken as rude or unkind, it is not my intent. On the other hand it is not my intent to allow blanket assumptions that I disagree with go unchallenged.

And to be consistent I have no problem supporting my disagreements in person.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think there's just a certain way to go about disagreeing.....there are polite ways to go, but it's almost something you have to learn from a very young age. People today don't teach their kids to be kind to others and be polite.

Unfortunately, even though this is a really great place for people to make friends and learn about chickens and other birds, you've still got your condescending know-it-alls who really may know their info, but they have no idea how to talk to people.......

Lots of nice folks out there who are enjoying their chickens, and enjoy sharing their experiences. It's nice to be able to talk and ask a question, or share a laugh without someone talking to you like you're an idiot.

I'm just saying there are friendly, polite ways to share information, and you can disagree in a polite way too.

9. I think that some folks consider rude anything that disagrees with what they want to see or read or be told.
    You know the old saying . . . "sometimes the truth hurts".

Then you have people, on both sides of any arguement, that only want to see negativity in a reply.
    There is no pleasing some folks.

I myself have posted "rude" comments, and have recieved "rude" replies . . .

The thing I cant stand is when people who dont know what they are talking about, and argue till they are blue in the face using myth, superstition, mass-public-hysteria, and emotion, post replies as factual arguement.

Like it has been stated already, its hard to "read" sarcasm and such over a computer, smilies do help a little if used.

(Not trying to be rude, but read the 1st line of my signature . . .

[​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member 11 Years

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    There is a lot to be said about perception.

However, if rules are broken, please remember that the report button is your friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by