1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do the eggs look like this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Penny P, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Penny P

Penny P Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

I manage a school flock of seven hens (various breeds). I collect MANY eggs have these dark patches at the top and I'm trying to figure out what it means, if anything. Sometimes the eggs look like that when I collect them, sometimes they darken at the top later. The dark spots are always at the top of the eggs. Any input into what this is/means? Thanks!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's just the way that particular hen distributes the color on the eggs, I don't think it means anything as far as health or feeding, it's normal for that hen.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Are the shells thinner where the discoloration is? Some discoloration is normal, but not AFTER you collect the eggs....

Hmmmmm...

4. Penny P

Penny P Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    The discoloration does look like thin spots, but they don't actually seem to be thinner. Due to the number of them that I collect, it makes me think more than one hen is laying them, and I agree that it seems odd fir them to darken after collection.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by