Why do the females display?

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
I've seen my females display a few times and today again one was displaying. She was following Raja (my peacock) around displaying and shaking her feathers at him. I thought maybe she just wanted some attention but the minute he opened his tail to display she put her's down. He made his little rush at her and she ran away instead of letting him cover her. Do other peahens do that a lot and anyone know why?

Mine do, and I've seen a lot of pictures of other people whose hens do. Mine don't tend to do it just because, usually they do it at the cats or the little dogs when they run past, or the chickens (there's a really cocky rooster who dances for them, and they show off back). When mine were babies, Osiris would flare up when startled, like when she first met the dog. It sounds like your hen was fixing to pick a fight with your boy!

I think they all do it, mine display to the squirrels, mostly mine do it when they're happiest and have lots of energy...here's mine displaying just because they could. (That adult male I no longer have, bobcat ate him, and don't know why he has no feathers on his neck, was like that when I got him and they never did grow in, I think he was eating them he also was slow so I think he was old)

40744_p1000699.jpg

Yep, all do it. Some do it more often than others. Generally, older hens display less often than young hens.

Mostly it's just because they can, they got excited by something new, or feeling very energetic/frisky.

I have one that does it pretty often. Usually it's when she sees a cat that she hates, she displays then chases it away. She did it more when she had chicks. At those times she wasn't happy, or excited, more like angry and protective
roll.png

Sometimes the girls just want to try to intimidate stuff with their big bad selves
DSC0018010daysold.jpg

if this baby pea turns out to be a female i will be very suprised cause it displays all the time.

Back
Top Bottom