Why do the females display?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SunBaked, Jul 20, 2011.

1. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    I've seen my females display a few times and today again one was displaying. She was following Raja (my peacock) around displaying and shaking her feathers at him. I thought maybe she just wanted some attention but the minute he opened his tail to display she put her's down. He made his little rush at her and she ran away instead of letting him cover her. Do other peahens do that a lot and anyone know why?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Mine do, and I've seen a lot of pictures of other people whose hens do. Mine don't tend to do it just because, usually they do it at the cats or the little dogs when they run past, or the chickens (there's a really cocky rooster who dances for them, and they show off back). When mine were babies, Osiris would flare up when startled, like when she first met the dog. It sounds like your hen was fixing to pick a fight with your boy!

3. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I think they all do it, mine display to the squirrels, mostly mine do it when they're happiest and have lots of energy...here's mine displaying just because they could. (That adult male I no longer have, bobcat ate him, and don't know why he has no feathers on his neck, was like that when I got him and they never did grow in, I think he was eating them he also was slow so I think he was old)

[​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep, all do it. Some do it more often than others. Generally, older hens display less often than young hens.

Mostly it's just because they can, they got excited by something new, or feeling very energetic/frisky.

5. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    I have one that does it pretty often. Usually it's when she sees a cat that she hates, she displays then chases it away. She did it more when she had chicks. At those times she wasn't happy, or excited, more like angry and protective [​IMG]

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just caught mine doing it this morning. First time and I wondered if what I thought was a hen was a cock. Lol.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've seen just about all my peachicks display! It's so cute to watch them walk around the yard strutt'in their stuff! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sometimes the girls just want to try to intimidate stuff with their big bad selves
    [​IMG]
    if this baby pea turns out to be a female i will be very suprised cause it displays all the time.

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    That is so cute.

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Yep , they display at new things, making themself look larger and intimidate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by