Why do their feet look weird?

Little Miss

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Virginia
My birds feet look very odd. The scales are peeling up and their feet look bigger. My first thought was I had an outbreak of scaley leg mites but I'm not sure because their legs are not dry or rough. If a bird has scaley legs mites, are their legs supposed to feel moist? They're not slimy but they feel similar to a damp rag that's been left to sit for awhile. The legs are still smooth except for the ends of the scales that seem to be "folding" up. Their coop runs over a ditch that generally has a little bit of water in it at all times so I am suspicious about the mites. They get their feet wet and the weather does not help. One day it will be in the low forties and the next it will be in the seventies this time of year. With those factors combined with the symptoms, I don't know if I can just jump to the mites. If it's not mites, what is it and how can I treat it?

Sorry if the pictures aren't very good but my birds were none too happy about being "captured" against their will.

Well that for sure is not scaley leg mites UNLESS it is just starting??? I have not seen anything like this before....the feet look inflammed...do you have fire ants or something else that might be irritating the feet? Just guessin g possibilities here........

It's too cold for fire ants right now.
sad.png
In fact, pretty much all the nasty biting bugs and such are gone for the winter.

My birds feet look very odd. The scales are peeling up and their feet look bigger. My first thought was I had an outbreak of scaley leg mites but I'm not sure because their legs are not dry or rough. If a bird has scaley legs mites, are their legs supposed to feel moist? They're not slimy but they feel similar to a damp rag that's been left to sit for awhile. The legs are still smooth except for the ends of the scales that seem to be "folding" up. Their coop runs over a ditch that generally has a little bit of water in it at all times so I am suspicious about the mites. They get their feet wet and the weather does not help. One day it will be in the low forties and the next it will be in the seventies this time of year. With those factors combined with the symptoms, I don't know if I can just jump to the mites. If it's not mites, what is it and how can I treat it?

I'm wonderin' if it's not some form of fungal or bacterial infection, brought about by all the wet conditions (or, possibly, directly from the ditch )-;~

Here a shortened list, in the following format:
Symptom... Possible Cause

Rough, scaly... Fowl pox; scaly leg mite
Bowed, weak... Nutritional deficiency-vitamin D; osteodystrophy
Bone bends... Nutritional deficiency-vitamin D
Joint swelling...
Infectious synovitis; paratyphoid; pullorum; zinc deficiency;
staphylococcosis; tenosynovitis; arthritis
Shank depigmented...
Nutritional deficiency-vitamin A; coccidiosis; any low grade slow
disease (for any length of time)
Swollen foot pad... Infectious synovitis; bumblefoot
Toes curled... Nutritional deficiency-riboflavin; genetic; management deficiency
Foot pad cracked, dermatitis...
Nutritional deficiency-biotin or pantothenic acid; management
deficiency

Back
Top Bottom