Why do they do that?

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
So I am new to chickens this year. All of my chickens of laying age are finally laying.

They do this thing....not sure how to explain it....

Just before they started laying and now that they are laying if you pet them or stroke them or approach them, they "huncker-down". They squat and expand their wings a bit. It's strange. Does anyone know why they do this?

Thanks.
J.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Haven't heard it called that, but it is appropriate! They are "presenting" to you the authority figure,,,, which would normally be the rooster.

Most here call it the "egg squat" because only hens which are laying or about to lay do it. I do like the hussy squat too though!

Yep, give them a pat on the back, thats what they want, then they'll run away and shake it off
lol.png

Last edited:
I have twenty five and a walk through the yard when they are free ranging is like an obstacle course trying not to step on a squatter. Any body else relate. I am afraid somebody's gonna get hurt, and oh my, if I have the treat can.

So it's a mating thing? Is that the position they get into for mating?

Why do they want a pat on the back, how does that mimic the rooster?....because he pecks them?

Is it normal for them to do it, even if there is a rooster?

J.

It is VERY normal, and yes, that's what they do so the roo can mount them, the pat just makes them happy... I take the opportunity to pet them and reinforce that they don't need to be afraid of me etc...

Even if you have a rooster, they'll squat for you and for as many roosters as you have.

Quote:
Yes. It's normal even if you have a roo. You are the MASTER roo. It really is a good thing.

And yes. It shows that they are ready to be mated with. And if you haven't gotten your eggs yet....you will soon.

My kids call that "the chicken dance". They think it's extremely funny. Some of them even stomp their feet when they go down.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom