why do they do this with their mouth?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sydney13, Jul 7, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    a few months ago my silkie had gape worm (or at least i think it was gape worm) and i wormed her with ivomectin. now she has started to do the gaping thing again and im wondering if this is normal behavior. she stretches her neck and gasps sort of like a silent crow. its very hot right now so could she be doing it because of the heat?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Possibly. If she has damage to her trachea because of the gape worm, it stands to reason she may need to work harder to breathe when under stress. She may be too hot, or possibly have gape worm again.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    no ive noticed some of my 6 week old chicks doing it too early in the morning before it gets hot out

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Careful that you don't misinterpret a chicken's normal behavior for symptoms of gapeworm. Chickens open their mouths and stretch their necks to adjust the food in their crops.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:True.

It's very easy to check for gapeworm - I wouldn't even think of treating for it unless I knew for sure - you take a q-tip, and gently open the bird's mouth. Push the q-tip down the throat slowly TWIRLING IT, and then remove. You only need to push it down about 1/2" past the back of the throat. The gapes are thin, red, and almost 2-headed looking (Y-shaped).

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:True.

It's very easy to check for gapeworm - I wouldn't even think of treating for it unless I knew for sure - you take a q-tip, and gently open the bird's mouth. Push the q-tip down the throat slowly TWIRLING IT, and then remove. You only need to push it down about 1/2" past the back of the throat. The gapes are thin, red, and almost 2-headed looking (Y-shaped).

Great information Wynette, thanks! [​IMG]

7. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    I just saw this thread and found it quite interesting, although we've never had this problem (thank God!!). How do the chickens get the gape worm? What are signs and treatments for it?

8. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My chickens do something with their mouth. I never heard of gape worm. They walk around with their mouth open and looks like they are panting. Is that normal or is it jus the heat?

9. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Quote:Since chicken's can't sweat, they pant in order to cool down. If it's very hot out, then this behavior is most likely just panting and nothing to worry about. It takes a few days to get used to the heat and they should pant less as they adjust.

10. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Ok didn't know if I should be worried or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by