Why do they do this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I cleaned out the coop yesterday & was using hay in the nesting boxes but they keep pulling it out. So, instead of using hay I used pine shaving but had the same results they pulled it out. Why do they keep doing this?

2. bokboklady

bokboklady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    hi, i am eager to see your answers as mine do the same, dont go near the nesting box's so i put the straw on the floor but they still chuck it around, !

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm not sure why, but I have seen some of my hens put hay on their backs while they are laying, then when they are finished and jump out, the hay goes out with them. Maybe they are just trying to get comfortable.

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:My Chic's aren't laying. They always sleep on their roost.

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Maybe I need to rephrase the question. Should I continuously build the nest or just leave it alone. Thanks.

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Are they laying yet? You can put little "curtains" on your nest boxes to deter non-laying activity (also helps with pooping/roosting in the nest boxes). I would continue to build the nest, but only because I don't want the eggs broken. My girls leave their nesting area alone, but the litter on the floor gets turned constantly (Thank you ladies) and helps to keep the smell down.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I found the chickens in their nesting boxes yesterday. They were scratching in them looking for bugs I guess. Is this normal or what?

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    They scratch before they lay eggs,my faverolles just started laying and they will scratch for half an hour before they lay an egg and by then most of the bedding is on the floor.Not all my chickens do that some do a little sractching and then lay the egg and I do have some that will put bedding on there back.

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am beginning to wonder if there is a definition to normal for chickens.

I'm sure it is normal. When mine first started laying, they rearranged the nest boxes to suit theirselves. Now, they only go in there to lay an egg. Are your boxes elevated? Mine are, and the ladies never go in there and mess around anymore unless they are laying. I had one who had taken to sleeping in the nest, I kept moving her out. She now only goes in to lay. Good luck!

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes , they are elevated.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by