1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do they get so wound up at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NicInNC, Mar 4, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Our chicks are now 3 weeks old. They are now in a large, clear rubbermaid container with a wire lid with plenty of room to walk around and I even added something for them to roost on (which, they love).

They're so well behaved during the day and I get them out several times a day. Anytime I lift the lid off, they immediately fly out and perch on the side of the box. They fly out every chance they can get.

The problem? Every single night around 8pm, they begin chirping and carrying on like crazy! They get so loud that we can't hear tv. They'll also run from one side of the box to the other and peck like crazy on the side of the box. I've tried moving them into the bathroom where it's pitch dark, but that doesn't stop them. I don't know if they hear us or what it is.

The ONLY way I can calm them down is to take the lid off and let them perch on the side of the box. The problem with that is that everytime my dog (a Sheltie) walks past them, they try to fly onto her or they jump down onto the floor and chase after the dog (Cricket is her name). Cricket is scared of them now. [​IMG]

They also calm down if I hold them. I've tried putting the heating lamp in there, but they get away from it. So, I know they're not too cold. When we go to bed and nobody is downstairs and all is quiet, they immediately settle down.

Are they just spoiled rotten or is something else going on? [​IMG]

2. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    maybe they just want attention lol, but how big of a rubbermaid container we talking.....? maybe they dont have enough room?

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    it sounds like they may want to start perching to sleep. Mine at 3.5 weeks and some of them started perching to sleep at about 3 weeks and we have a new convert every day.

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Based on what you wrote, I would say they like to get out and be near you. Since they are chicks they probably believe that they need to get out since you let them fly out when you open the lid. They may just need to see you while you watching tv or more space to fly up on things so they are occupied.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Because that's how things are done on their planet? Wherever that planet is, it's the same one cats come from. [​IMG]

6. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:They're in a 95 quart container. There are two chicks. I have a small waterer (not the gallon one) and a small feeder.

7. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    Quote:haha
    thats agood one!

8. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    yea plenty of room, but only 2....might be a little lonely... and like it was previously stated...you are their leader

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Mine did that every night at bedtime too. I think it has to do with wanting to be safely perched at night. I would try putting a perch in as high as you can make it. Then close the door and try to keep it as dark and quiet as you can. I know with mine, if they had a hint that I was still around, they would start up again, but if I was out of eyesight, they would start to settle down for the night. Give them a routine that makes them feel safe.

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    All that ruckus with only 2 chicks?!?! [​IMG] I have 51 coming!! Maybe I need to pick up some ear plugs on my way to the PO to pick them up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by