1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do they keep dieing!!! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    my last duck hatch they all died fully formed..
    Now I candled my Black east indie eggs at 2 weeks or 2 1/2 and about 10 were dark and forming.... I candled them for the last time tonight (lockdown in 2 days) and only 2 are Black w/ the air cell!!!

all the others have a black ring around the egg next to the edge of the air cell and clear on both ends. one looked scrambled and one looked half formed.

What am I doing wrong?? This is so dissapointing I was looking forward to my BEI!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

im not even gonna hold my breath for the other two eggs to hatch...

Heres what the ring looks like.. I guess that means its dead right? I highly doubt a duck is fitting in that black spot..

[​IMG]

any advice on exact humidity for trying to hatch the last two?

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Yeah, pretty much. Sorry, that is so disappointing. Are you taking the eggs out and cooling them for 15 minutes every day and then sprinkling them with warm water for a few seconds? I will get my hand all wet with the nice warm water and then rub it all over the egg.

I know I do that with my geese and I think duck eggs need that too. Also when you add water to your incubator make sure it is warm and try not to splash any on any eggs. I really thing that hurts them.

I have also started making sure that I keep the door closed to the room that the incubator is in so nothing like air freshner, perfume, hairspray ect... get in there. Some of that is microscopic and I don't want it getting into the incubator somehow and getting on the eggs. That may be extreme but it is just another precaution.

3. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:No I dont cool them or wetten them. I was told to just keep the humidity higher then chicken eggs..

My door stays closed.

No spray or anything in here..

Hope the last two make it.. [​IMG]

Well for one thing to be half excited about, I put one of my bantams egg in there about 5 or so days ago to check if it was even fertile because it didnt look like it when I busted one open, Candled it tonight to and it looked like it was having a party in the egg LOL

Bet that one will hatch just SIMPLY because its the only banny egg/chicken egg in there.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Try posting in the duck section too. Maybe you can get somemore help there.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry your hatch is not going well. That looks like bacteria growing in the egg. It may be that your incubator is contaminated.

6. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:The eggs were in there when my chicks hatched then my ducks died a few days later, Then I took the eggs out and wrapped em in a warm towel and washed the bottom part of the incubator with bacteria soap.. could it have gotten to that eggs that quick? it was a max of 6 days I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by