Why do they like pecking our bare feet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissMoss, May 19, 2011.

1. MissMoss

MissMoss New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Our chickens will be grazing near us, and then on purpose peck our feet, again, and again, and again, if you let them. I don't like it so I jump, cause sometimes I don't see them coming an they peck me by surprise , and today 6 of them were looking like they wished to peck my feet so I clapped my hands and scared them all off.

It's apparent I am going to have to wear shoes when sitting out in my own yard, or they'll never leave my feet alone. My parents think I am silly for not liking them attacking my feet, they say well it don't hurt, and maybe I am just a baby, but it does kind of hurt, and at the very least it's unpleasant.

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Cause your toes look like wiggly worms to eat. Just take a handful of treats out with you to distract them with.. or don't go barefoot.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My kids learned a Valued lesson never go barefoot around the free range chickens..LOL Treats do work...(For awhile)

4. MissMoss

MissMoss New Egg

May 19, 2011
    One of them kind of got what it deserved when I startled it jumping after it pecked me lol.

It's not when you're walking they bother you, it's when you're sitting still.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think it's just the way they explore their world.

6. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Mine only peck my feet if I've painted my toenails - I think they think they are grapes or something!

7. MissMoss

MissMoss New Egg

May 19, 2011
    True, but what's so appealing about white feet? I guess it looks differnt than the rest of their enviroment?

The turkeys are similarly interested in fingers, if yuo stick your fingers where they can see them poking into the enclosure, they WILL bite them, an then look disappointed lol. Note I did not put my fingers in the baby turkeys enclosure to tempt them to bite me, it just worked out that way lol, They saw my hands above the opening of their brooder box and were like oh, hey!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by