1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do they pace back and fourth?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by C&Rman, May 7, 2011.

1. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    When I went out to check on them they were pacing back and fourth against the fence, why are they doing this?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    C&Rman :

When I went out to check on them they were pacing back and fourth against the fence, why are they doing this?

Mine do that too! They fly out of the 6 foot pen to patrol for bugs, then spend hours (seems like) pacing back and forth to get back in before they remember "hey, I flew out, I'll just fly back end as soon as somebody else does it first"

The other answer I had to "why are they doing this?" was most unflattering to their intelligence.​

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    C&Rman :

They are trying to find a way out, it might take them a while to realize there is no way out.​

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Sometimes I think they pace if they see birds in another pen or free-range they want to go hang out with. Also peahens about to lay will pace back and forth and sometimes cluck while they pace.

5. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I have a rooster and a guinea bird that teese them, and they hen does walk back and fourth with her neck feathers up and she honks, but the male hasn't displayed for her once and she is just a yearling.

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    It will take your peacock a little while before he displays since he is new. They have to settle in a bit before they start to display.

7. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Yea, mine didn't display for almost a week but now he is out there with his tail up every afternoon.

8. fussypuss

fussypuss Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    California
    I still need an answer

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

looks like answers to me......

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This thread is also more then 2 years old. You might try posting your question on a new thread of your own. Sometimes when people see that a thread is old they don't bother with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by