Why do they say white leghorns do well in cages? Mine is an escape artist!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jenny1, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Seriously, how does she even get out? Came back after being gone most of the day to see her little white egg in the nest box, two hens in the little house, and one missing hen... After searching for a few minutes I found her high up in the grapefruit tree.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had a California White once and they DO love to get up in the trees, LOL!

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Somebody gave me some white Leghorns a few years ago. I think they may have watched Chicken Run, because they seemed determined to "go over the wall." Even with a wing clipped, they regularly got over a 5 foot fence. At the previous owner's place, the fence was more like 7 feet, and they could get over that![​IMG]

4. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    The run is covered! She digs or squeezes out. And if somebody opens the door/lid of the coop- you get a facefull of flapping feathers! She is determined. Thankfully, we havent had her leave the yard... I sure hope she doesnt. That would be an akward conversation with the neighbors...

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    mine too!! Easily clears my 5 foot fence with both wings clipped. I have seen her fly over and dig under. I have given up and just let her do what she wants. I was hoping to keep all the chickens confined to the backyard but every morning my white leghorn greets me at the front door, clucks at me, then runs all the way back to the garage where the snacks are and waits for treats.

6. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    If you clip both wings they can fly pretty well. Clip just ONE wing, it throws them off balance so they cant fly.

7. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    If you clip both wings they can fly pretty well. Clip just ONE wing, it throws them off balance so they cant fly.

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I started out with just one and it made no difference so then I cut the other thinking maybe it would help. Not a good choice.

9. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Oh, well.... good luck then. Meanwhile, my chicken is sleeping in a tree tonight. Oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by