1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why do they say........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Dec 14, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    You shouldn't keep Turkeys with chickens?? I would really like to get a pair of Turkeys but I have 43 chickens

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Because Chickens can pass blackhead disease to turkeys. If blackhead exist in your area at all. It is something in the soil I think. I had a turkey I raised with chickens. If you are talking about a pair of turkey with all those chickens I would go for it. Your potential loss is the pair of turkeys. blackhead is not fatal to chickens.

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks for that interesting info. My friend has a pair of turkeys that are HUGE and adorable! I'll do some research on Black head decease in my area

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Check with your local Ag office to see if Blackhead is common in your area. I have been raising turkeys and chickens together for years with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by