Why do things curdle(sp) ?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Feb 2, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    What causes it? I made tomato soup earlier today and I always add milk have for years and this time it curdled (sp) and it never has before.

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    The acidity of this batch of tomatoes probably did it. Some people use a little lemon juice to make farmer's cheese.

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Acids curdle cream. I can give you the scientific reason if you REALLY want, but it's basically a chemical reaction.

Whatever you do, do NOT let your friends convince you liquor and cream mix....

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's cause by a few different things:

Too much heat
    Heat for too long
    Too high of acidity
    Older milk

It is the proteins in dairy products coagulating. It is especially difficult in tomato soup. High acidity and hard to hold for long.

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Oh I have done this before always looked and tasted fine.....[​IMG] as far as I remember anyways jk. Its not cooked though usually.

I ate it anyways and I am still alive for now. Seemed odd to me but I have heard of it happening just did not know why this time it did. When I have always made my tomato soup that way. I only used 1/3 can milk and the rest water so I skimmed off as much of the curdled stuff as I could before eating it. Did not look the prettiest though. It tasted the same. I guess that is all that really matters and that I did not get sick.

6. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Out of your choices I would think it would have to be the "older milk" but not bad just was towards the end of the gallon.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Out of your choices I would think it would have to be the "older milk" but not bad just was towards the end of the gallon.

yeah older milk

as a side note, don't try to make instant potatoes with buttermilk ---- because it is essentially "old milk" [​IMG]

8. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Oh I have done this before always looked and tasted fine.....[​IMG] as far as I remember anyways jk. Its not cooked though usually.

I ate it anyways and I am still alive for now. Seemed odd to me but I have heard of it happening just did not know why this time it did. When I have always made my tomato soup that way. I only used 1/3 can milk and the rest water so I skimmed off as much of the curdled stuff as I could before eating it. Did not look the prettiest though. It tasted the same. I guess that is all that really matters and that I did not get sick.

Give it about, oh, a few minutes. If it doesn't curdle mid-glass, it curdles mid-stomach.

Don't ever drink a cement mixer, either. The shot, not the mixer. But I'd like to see the effort on that one!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Keep in mind, when cooking, curdled does not mean spoiled. It refers to cooked milk, it is perfectly natural. Now if it curdles in the carton or curdles immediately I'd be suspicious. Tomato soup is many a cooks anathema. A lot of commercial kitchens will use either non dairy creamer or real cream to make their soups. neither will curdle.

10. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010

yeah older milk

as a side note, don't try to make instant potatoes with buttermilk ---- because it is essentially "old milk" [​IMG]

Hardly ever have either in the house so would be unlikely combo for me....which sounds like a good thing.

I always have powdered milk on hand can't tell the difference in cooking/baking at least I can't. I keep it for emergency's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by