Why do two of my 16 chicks not have tails?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Oct 6, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Is it just a fluke, or is there possibly a reason?

I ordered 16 chicks - 4 each of Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, and Ameraucana. They were hatched on Aug 15th. One of the Barred Rocks, and one of the Speckled Sussex don't have tails, but the other ones do. Shouldn't they all have tails? Just curious. Thanks!

2. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I'm no expert here but I noticed that of the 7 chicks that I ordered recently, (born 8/23), six of them have a noticeable hump of tail feathers and one (the rooster I ordered) had a much less pronounced tail.

Do the two of yours in question seem to have larger combs than the rest? My rooster has a more developed comb so far and it's what I look for to tell who I'm actually looking at.

I'm just curious, did you order all hens or straight run?

Good luck

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    They may just be slower growing. Araucanas are a breed that have a 'rumpless' trait. Rumpless chickens are literally missing their coccyx, or tailbone. You can feel that they are rumpless from day 1 because if you run your finger over their bums, you won't feel the nub of the tailbone like in normal, tailed chickens.

I doubt that they are rumpless though, just because hatcheries don't breed for that sort of thing, even in their "Araucanas" (some hatcheries call their EEs by the breed, other hatcheries call their EEs Ameraucanas), since it can reduce fertility. And it isn't something that is bred for in the breeds you listed either. I bet they'll get their tails soon enough!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm just going to join in and offer my uninformed guess. Since boys gets their wing and tail feathers slower than the girls, your "rumpless wonders" may simply be little boys chicks.

5. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Possibly, but I ordered all females. Hmmm, well, we'll see I guess. Thanks!

6. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    One of our five hatched chicks that isn't feathering nearly as fast at the rest, and while I know it could just be slower to develop and/or a roo, it's concerning me because it's starting to get colder outside and it appears to be ... slow for lack of a better descriptor. It has a broody momma, and she's being very good with it - letting it underneath her to warm it up, and showing it food, but it just gets pushed out of the way by the other chicks when it comes to food.

I'd say if you're chicks are otherwise healthy and behaving just like the ones that have tails, they're just fine and will catch up at some point. We're going to bring out little tailless wonder inside for a couple days for observation, make sure there's nothing else going on.

Good luck!

7. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Quote:Good luck to you also! I hope everything is okay with your chick!! [​IMG]

My two seem to be fine, although one of them has always been behind in the growth department. Penelope as I call her, is tiny compared to the rest, and had curled out wings at the beginning, but they are fine now. She's a spunky little thing, though.

The other one, Moonlight, is perfectly fine and is the same size as the others, and acts the same as all the rest. [​IMG]

I have no idea why they don't have tails. lol

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:Most places have about a 10% failure rate, so ordering pullets doesn't necessarily mean you'll get pullets.

Good luck, though -- hopefully they're just slower-feathering ladies [​IMG]

9. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Quote:Most places have about a 10% failure rate, so ordering pullets doesn't necessarily mean you'll get pullets.

Good luck, though -- hopefully they're just slower-feathering ladies [​IMG]

That's why I said "we'll see". [​IMG]

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I found that most of my RIR boys got their nice tails about a month or two after all the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by