Why do we love chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lovemychix, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I was just wondering....Why do we love chickens? The reason I ask is because my family thinks I've lost it. I have loved chickens all my life. I have collected chicken things for as long as I can remember. Is it in our genes? My grandmother loved her chickens and even during her last days...when her mind was not as good....Would ask to take her out to the chicken house and she hadn't been on the farm for 30 years before that.
    I was just wondering what everyones thought were on this.
    I love chickens because they are cute as well as useful. I just love their behaviors.
    Getting deep in the phyc today....[​IMG]

2. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I love my chickens because, they're happy to see me, chit chat, run behind me, sit in my lap, well I guess because they love me, they are soo darn cute.[​IMG]
    I love your message, my DH knows if I don't answer the phone at home I'm with the chickens.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Well, let me lie down and I will tell you all about it.

I love my chickies because I feel like they love me and make me feel important even when I have had the crappiest day of my life. They bring joy to my world with their antics and they make me smile when i come in the pen with a feed scoop in my hand and they fly up to greet me and try to get to the feed first. I love it when they perch on my shoulder when I am doing the chores and just purr in my ear like they know I need that today!

They bring me and my girls closer together because we do projects together, rearranging pens and deciding what kinds we really need and showing and bathing chickens for the show....that is a hoot! We learn together by looking up stuff on BYC to find out why and where and what we need to know. We join together to incubate eggs and watch the miracle of life when they pip and zip right in front of us. It give family connection and direction and peace. When you have a cruddy day, going up there to have those little fuzzy butts snuggle up in your lap is all you need.

We love our chickens because they make us have a purpose! Ok break out the Kleenex! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    i love chickens because even when you're haveing a bad day they always cheer you up...they are happy to see the food bringer...they make me laugh and i love snuggin with them...they are lik a different version of mans best friend!! LOL

5. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I don't know why I love chickens, lol ... I just do. I never even wanted chickens, never appealed to me, until I got my Dad chickens for father's day and had to take care of them for him (he works a crazy schedule and is always on call, so it is better if I take care of him because he never knows when he is going to be home). I would spend quite a bit of time watching the chickens when I fed them. One day, it occurred to me, I like chickens! Then I had to get some of my own [​IMG] Now, between the two of us, we are up to almost 70 chickens (and 2 doz eggs currently in the bator) and counting!

*Hi, my name is Becki, and I am a chick-a-holic*

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    first i love how they look second I like that they are life preserving. We get eggs, we get manure for the garden and if we want we have meat. Familys in the past survived because they had hens to feed them. I like continuing this too. Oh! love that chick tv. jean

7. palomino777902

palomino777902 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    How amazing that you picked today to post this.

Just this very day, ( a day after I had to say goodbye to my Roo buddies) my husband came in the house and said, you really do like chickens don't you?

I said, yeah just look around you. Chicken stuff everywhere. I have had chicken doo dads for years and years.

Since the extra roos are gone we proceeded to make the hens and 2 roos we have a two story condo!

I love my chickens! They are so much fun to watch. I can't wait to get my first eggs from this gang. It is like therapy to collect eggs!

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I love them because of their sill antics, their calming effect on me and they tasty eggs that they lay. There really isn't anything that I don't like about them!! (except the poop on my patio! [​IMG] )

9. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Yup, gotta love those chickens.

I never liked birds, at all, until we got chickens. I figured I could put up with them if it meant fresh eggs. Well, they won me over and now I'm a chicken nut. My family thinks I'm crazy...common problem with forum members apparently.

My hubby and I just spent six days at my parents' house. I told my mom that I was going to bring her some chicks in the spring, or she needed to get some for herself. She wouldn't go for it. My dad even offered to convert a deer blind into a chicken coop...not sure if he was serious but hey...good idea.

Meanwhile, I'm still debating on how I will go about convincing the hubby that we need a few Buff Orpington chicks in the spring....[​IMG]

10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    I have wondered myself, I think mostly becausr their cheap, reproduce, make good pets, and are a food supply. Lots of pro's, and if you end up with to many cons, fire up skillet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by