Why do we?

sbienusa

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
Forgive the book! Today I am pondering why I am so attached to these birds. Seven years ago, I re-entered the poultry driven life for the first time since I was a child and hid my Rhode Island Red hen in a tree on butcher day. When dad subsequently found out, he "gave her to a guy that only wanted a chicken pet" and assured me that "she would have a long life." At least, that was his story. So at 36, I was walking through Murdochs and was taken in by six cute little bundles of fluff. I set up a heat lamp over an oversized box and secretly tucked it away in a nook of my house. When my husband came home, he was immediately on to me. I tried to play innocent, but the little beasts ratted me out with their little peeps. He peered over the side of the box and said, "Tell me they aren't Cornish crosses." Ummmm.... is that a problem? Oops... Well, my dad, upon hearing of my newly acquired bundles of joy whose life expectancy (unfortunately) was grimly short, decided to bring me some Rhode Island Red chicks, a couple black sex links, and a silver wyandotte pullet that turned out to be the meanest roo I have owned to date. To say I was hooked would be an understatement. Every year, my husband tells me I am not allowed to bring home more chickens, and every year I whip out my "chicken math" calculator and finagle a way to bring home more (and a few turkeys along the way, which is another story altogether) About 3 years ago, I found the Cacklehatchery surprise. What a wonderful allotment of fun that was (so fun I did it again) except I didn't anticipate the mess two ducks can make and that their uncleanliness could spread a horrible bout of coccidiosis. Nor did I know what to do with 20 Roos! After I found homes for them and lamented the loss of some due to cocci, the coop seemed empty so, lo and behold, the local feed store had chicks . I now have two large coops and runs, two smaller coops and runs (also known as the Legbar and Grill and Barnieville), and two more under construction. Enter late summer of 2017. My Splash wyandotte roo that I had bought from a local breeder (along with 2 Roos and 2 Hens) somehow got injured and started walking around like a penguin. I panicked about Mareks and any other disease that might have infiltrated my coop. He never got worse, but after a bit my husband convinced me to cull him. At this point, we were certain he got injured as I found some scars and black bruising on his back. Then, I noticed my 4.5 month old Barred Cochin hen sitting to eat. I immediately isolated her into the Raised Garden Chicken Infirmary, but started to have fear again. What if my rooster wasn't injured. I mean, this hen was acting fine, just getting weak and sitting. I kept her separate for 5 weeks, feeding her eggs etc. She slowly got worse. She could still stand and walk but would get weak and stumble. We finally decided to cull her (last week) and got a basic necropsy... no tumors or enlarged nerves. I am kind of relieved, as the coop she was in is attached to another run. Both probably have 60 chickens between the two. I hadn't had any further problems until a couple weeks ago when my cute Legbar hens eye started bulging from what I think is some kind of trauma. Ugh! Then, yesterday,I got home from from work and noticed my 6 month old buff Orpington standing hunched. I thought, crap, the necropsy was wrong! Upon further inspection though, she had prolapsed and had a small egg stuck. I have been soaking her and using honey to push it all back in, but I think I will probably lose her. So here I am, wondering why I have all these chickens! My ladies get all the layer crumble (Layena) they can eat, a tub of soaked Alfalfa, Feather Fixer in the morning and a small scoop of scratch once a day so they know they can eat a little "chocolate" every now and then for good measure. However, today I feel a bit distraught. I wanted to get NPIP certified and start showing after buying various hatching eggs and breeder stock. ( By the way, my wyandotte Roos that didn't die are turning out to be knock kneed ) again I ask... Why? I read about all the possible diseases and after inspecting my birds (which I do every morning and evening) I always question ones eyes... are they swollen? Or is she breathing through her mouth. Crap she's limping, MS? I switch clothes and clean before I walk from my hatchery stock pens to my young purebred pens on the other side of my home. I anguish over every possible injury or "maybe" disease! Lol! Does anyone else go through this? My kids think I am crazy! My daughter is going to college for veterinary and I keep trying to convince her that there is a lack of avian vets. She told me I should take up knitting! Haha! Maybe she is right! However I won't. Tonight I will get home and watch my girls scratch and peck and realize that I love to watch them. That it soothes me to hear their random clucks, their curious cracks, and grumpy growls. I am sure by the time night falls I will forget I ever lamented my decision to become an expert chicken mathematician. Well, unless one is hurt, or sick... or who knows what else! Did I mention that I think I found some hatching eggs I want to buy? My poor husband. decisions decisions!

Oh don't be! ;) we all go through the moments I think? I wouldn't trade my girls (and boys) for anything. I say this in partial jest, just thinking out loud. I am sad over my hens, but it could have been a lot worse. ;)

Heehee! I was really glad it wasn't Mareks, but man I am sad about my little buff. We are still trying to make her right! Reading most of these forums, it seems a lot of us have been bitten by the chicken bug!

I hope she gets better for you, it's terrible when one isn't doing well and you're at a loss on what to do. I'm having to nurse a mystery wattle bite on one of my girls. Her wattle got bit,who did it is a mystery.:)
Heehee! I was really glad it wasn't Mareks, but man I am sad about my little buff. We are still trying to make her right! Reading most of these forums, it seems a lot of us have been bitten by the chicken bug!

Ya, they can certainly tug on your heart strings, that's for sure. ;) who know how they get into so much trouble! Here is hoping your hens wattle gets better soon!

Forgive the book! Today I am pondering why I am so attached to these birds. Seven years ago, I re-entered the poultry driven life for the first time since I was a child and hid my Rhode Island Red hen in a tree on butcher day. When dad subsequently found out, he "gave her to a guy that only wanted a chicken pet" and assured me that "she would have a long life." At least, that was his story. So at 36, I was walking through Murdochs and was taken in by six cute little bundles of fluff. I set up a heat lamp over an oversized box and secretly tucked it away in a nook of my house. When my husband came home, he was immediately on to me. I tried to play innocent, but the little beasts ratted me out with their little peeps. He peered over the side of the box and said, "Tell me they aren't Cornish crosses." Ummmm.... is that a problem? Oops... Well, my dad, upon hearing of my newly acquired bundles of joy whose life expectancy (unfortunately) was grimly short, decided to bring me some Rhode Island Red chicks, a couple black sex links, and a silver wyandotte pullet that turned out to be the meanest roo I have owned to date. To say I was hooked would be an understatement. Every year, my husband tells me I am not allowed to bring home more chickens, and every year I whip out my "chicken math" calculator and finagle a way to bring home more (and a few turkeys along the way, which is another story altogether) About 3 years ago, I found the Cacklehatchery surprise. What a wonderful allotment of fun that was (so fun I did it again) except I didn't anticipate the mess two ducks can make and that their uncleanliness could spread a horrible bout of coccidiosis. Nor did I know what to do with 20 Roos! After I found homes for them and lamented the loss of some due to cocci, the coop seemed empty so, lo and behold, the local feed store had chicks . I now have two large coops and runs, two smaller coops and runs (also known as the Legbar and Grill and Barnieville), and two more under construction. Enter late summer of 2017. My Splash wyandotte roo that I had bought from a local breeder (along with 2 Roos and 2 Hens) somehow got injured and started walking around like a penguin. I panicked about Mareks and any other disease that might have infiltrated my coop. He never got worse, but after a bit my husband convinced me to cull him. At this point, we were certain he got injured as I found some scars and black bruising on his back. Then, I noticed my 4.5 month old Barred Cochin hen sitting to eat. I immediately isolated her into the Raised Garden Chicken Infirmary, but started to have fear again. What if my rooster wasn't injured. I mean, this hen was acting fine, just getting weak and sitting. I kept her separate for 5 weeks, feeding her eggs etc. She slowly got worse. She could still stand and walk but would get weak and stumble. We finally decided to cull her (last week) and got a basic necropsy... no tumors or enlarged nerves. I am kind of relieved, as the coop she was in is attached to another run. Both probably have 60 chickens between the two. I hadn't had any further problems until a couple weeks ago when my cute Legbar hens eye started bulging from what I think is some kind of trauma. Ugh! Then, yesterday,I got home from from work and noticed my 6 month old buff Orpington standing hunched. I thought, crap, the necropsy was wrong! Upon further inspection though, she had prolapsed and had a small egg stuck. I have been soaking her and using honey to push it all back in, but I think I will probably lose her. So here I am, wondering why I have all these chickens! My ladies get all the layer crumble (Layena) they can eat, a tub of soaked Alfalfa, Feather Fixer in the morning and a small scoop of scratch once a day so they know they can eat a little "chocolate" every now and then for good measure. However, today I feel a bit distraught. I wanted to get NPIP certified and start showing after buying various hatching eggs and breeder stock. ( By the way, my wyandotte Roos that didn't die are turning out to be knock kneed ) again I ask... Why? I read about all the possible diseases and after inspecting my birds (which I do every morning and evening) I always question ones eyes... are they swollen? Or is she breathing through her mouth. Crap she's limping, MS? I switch clothes and clean before I walk from my hatchery stock pens to my young purebred pens on the other side of my home. I anguish over every possible injury or "maybe" disease! Lol! Does anyone else go through this? My kids think I am crazy! My daughter is going to college for veterinary and I keep trying to convince her that there is a lack of avian vets. She told me I should take up knitting! Haha! Maybe she is right! However I won't. Tonight I will get home and watch my girls scratch and peck and realize that I love to watch them. That it soothes me to hear their random clucks, their curious cracks, and grumpy growls. I am sure by the time night falls I will forget I ever lamented my decision to become an expert chicken mathematician. Well, unless one is hurt, or sick... or who knows what else! Did I mention that I think I found some hatching eggs I want to buy? My poor husband. decisions decisions!
I loved reading a fellow chicken lovers story-very sweet. Thank you for sharing it.
As for me, I first got chickens 4 years ago when my son/daughter in law and two toddler grandsons were living with us. We got them as chicks, kept in a clear plastic tote with heat lamp. the boys would lay on the floor and watch the chicks like it was television-so cute:)
My son and his little family, now four grandkids, all moved 16 hours away across the country a couple years ago. Broke my heart. Sitting outside with my chickens on my lap, listening to their little clucks, watching them run toward me the second they see me is what I call my 'chicken therapy' since my grandkids moved so far away. It helps, a little.

Awe! That's what I tell my kids, it's chicken therapy! (There is actually a study about this very thing!) They are both in college so I need something to focus on! Yesterday the ladies got some steak that had some freezer burn on it. I chopped it up and threw some in the first run and watched for a second, smiling as one lady would grab a piece and run with her prize! Then I glanced over at my second coop and saw all my young girls lined up, jealously coveting the treats in the first run. Lol! So much guilt! Of course they got some too. I even cooked some hamburger so no one was left out. I am such a sucker. I hope and pray you get to see your son and his family as often as possible! Mine came to visit a couple weeks ago. So so happy! ❤️ Thank you for sharing your story!

Back
Top Bottom