Why do you hatch eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherylcohen, Nov 6, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I'm just curious...I'm a newbie and have 10 fabulous chickens that I got at about 18 weeks and they are just starting to lay. I see so many posts of people hatching their own.

My question?
    1. What is the purpose for hatching your own 9 I assume becuae you want to raise them from day one
    2. Or are you raising them to sell? If so are there alot of peole that do that.

Just seems like alot of people hatching chicks...are they all big raisers?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    We hatch b/c we're addicted to it. Try it...I bet you can't stop! [​IMG]

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    It's sounds so fun, but then do you sell them or end up keeping all of them and then get an enormous flock?

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Its addictive!!! I did it once and that was not enough. I have a small backyard flock. I will just get a few eggs at a time to satisfy my habit. Its amazing to watch something you hatched grow. I don't have kids so this is the closest thing for me.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:I sell most of the babies that I hatch unless I am working on a breeding project and am hatching specific ones.

6. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    1. It's really amazing to watch a chick come from an egg and grow.
    2. It's really addicting.
    3. I stopped relying on Craigslist to find chickens when I saw how many people sell their "problem" chickens and keep the good ones - I don't want to buy someone else's problem.
    4. I bought 3 from a local farm/hatchery and they are of questionable quality and not friendly.
    5. For the friendliest chickens...hatch and raise your own - then you know more of it's backround/history.
    6. It's a cheaper/easier way to get the breeds more expensive/difficult to find.
    7. It's a good way to get the breeds you want.
    8. I don't really want to get chicks/adult shipped to me - it's stressful for them and expensive for me.
    9. There isn't a good local source for good quality, friendly chickens of the breeds I want.
    10. Often times, you get to see pictures (at least) of the parents, so you really know more of their history.
    11. Don't have to worry about them being carriers of a disease - better biosecurity for your own flock.

That's all I can think of at the moment! [​IMG]

EDIT: So far I've hatched out 9 chickens and 35 quail - I'll be keeping all of the hens and a couple of roos - the extras I will sell.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    1. It's really amazing to watch a chick come from an egg and grow.
    2. It's really addicting.
    3. I stopped relying on Craigslist to find chickens when I saw how many people sell their "problem" chickens and keep the good ones - I don't want to buy someone else's problem.
    4. I bought 3 from a local farm/hatchery and they are of questionable quality and not friendly.
    5. For the friendliest chickens...hatch and raise your own - then you know more of it's backround/history.
    6. It's a cheaper/easier way to get the breeds more expensive/difficult to find.
    7. It's a good way to get the breeds you want.
    8. I don't really want to get chicks/adult shipped to me - it's stressful for them and expensive for me.
    9. There isn't a good local source for good quality, friendly chickens of the breeds I want.
    10. Often times, you get to see pictures (at least) of the parents, so you really know more of their history.
    11. Don't have to worry about them being carriers of a disease - better biosecurity for your own flock.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hatching is so amazing!​

8. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Hatching is GREAT so AMAZING and VERY ADDICTING.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Here so we can sell them. There is no one within 30 miles that has chicks on a consistent basis. So we are hatching mutts to start with, and getting roos and seperating breeds to breed in the future.

10. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

for me, well, give me experience and unfortunately i'm addicted to it [​IMG] , but power failure always fails me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by