Why do you have ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertskynm, Jan 27, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Me again... This has been much, much harder then when I decided I wanted chickens!

So, I want ducks because they look nice in the yard, I enjoy them swimming, I might enjoy their eggs and I might [​IMG] be able to bring myself to harvest them for dinner. (I never think of doing that with my chickens- but ducky is really yummy!)

It might help if I know how other BYC'ers choose their breed of duck...

Thank you,
    Misty

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I went with calls...also have had cambells, blue swedish, rouen, runner, um...oh yeah I have a pair of mandarans...

why...well..the little ones cuz you can get more in less area! Why did I have the big ones...um..cuz they were cool and a couple times at an auction Imight have gotten a little crazy...and...they are cool and I really enjoy a mess! Cuz they make them

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Because how can you resist this?

[​IMG]

4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I have ducks cause duck eggs are sooo yummy......and duck is yummy. I could never eat one of my pets but I do raise a few...that get no names and we eat them.

But I love them, they are funny, so calming to watch. Nothing better to sit and watch a bunch of ducks after a long day of work...or a very relaxing way to start the morning by sitting having a tea and watching them and sharing some breakfast.

I just love everything about my ducks...

5. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Awwwwwww.... Is that a Pekin? OMG- cuteness factor is off the scale...
    M.

Quote:

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive always wanted ducks so decided to get some while my Dh was away working...method in my madness. I love that I can sit out with them all day and watch them, they are funny, have their own little quirks, they are nosy and always want to know what you are doing or holding, funny to watch swimming and to me they are theraputic and always put a smile on my face.

They are MESSY, they DIG HOLES, they MAKE A MESS with food and water or what ever you give them, did I mention they like to DIG and make a MESS, and dig another hole BIGGER than the last hole, then they take mouthfulls of water to said HOLE and MAKE A MESS, and patty cake it and make MUDD PUDDLES and can drill a hole 6 inches deep in a matter of seconds, then you fall DOWN the HOLES and SLOP thru the MUD, then the HOLES turn into CRATERS and you fall and bust your BUTTT....I LOVE MY DUCKS..mud an all!!
    If you want a yard with no mud holes and no mud...DONT GET DUCKS

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:
    I KNOW(Thank you, by the way)!!!!!!(Sorry, don't mean to yell, but it is uncontrollable when discussing ducks). [​IMG]
    She is actually one of my little White Call hens, Damsel. That's as big as she'll get.
    I love it when people ask questions like yours because it gives me a chance to post pictures of my beautiful little duckies. [​IMG]

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I went and took some photos for you.

before the ducks
    [​IMG]

4 months after the ducks moved in here
    [​IMG]

Elliot & Gemini on their 1st day outside, they were only out for 3 minutes before the cats showed up. Beacuse they dont QUACK yet, my cats dont see them as ducks...just dinner. They are Pekin, Magpie mix ducks, so will be as big as a Pekin when they are fully grown. Cute aint they
    [​IMG]

Dont let the cuteness get to you, they turn into Mud Digging Demons [​IMG]

Footprints in the MUD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I was kind of thrust into the world of ducks. I have always been an animal lover, and I have that "rescue" tendency, and everyone I know, knows this.

So one day I get a call from my grandmother. Someone, a couple months after Easter, dumped three Pekin ducks on her pond. The snapping turtles killed one the first night, then a coyote got the second one the next day, so now there was one lone, scared Pekin left and she was soooo afraid she would go out and see him dead soon. Would I please come get him and help him.

Sooo, I got my first Pekin drake. Here he was, all alone on my little farm, and he was lonely. I researched my new pet and how to give him a perfect life. I learned ducks are social and need companionship. So I knew I had to buy him some other ducks for company. This is all part of responsible pet ownership right? The very next spring I bought him some duckling friends.

One duckling turned into a hen, the other a drake. Now I had two drakes and one hen in my little "flock"

Well, that just won't do, too much testosterone... I need another, right? We got Izzy.

Needless to say I am completely addicted, and planning my future additions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  10. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Yowza! [​IMG]
    M.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by