Why do you keep the breeds you raise?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poulets De Cajun, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I often find myself wondering "I wonder what he/she sees in that bird?" There are so many breeds that I find completely mundane and unattractive, but those same breeds are the ones that others are fanatical about. I thought it would be nice to be introduced to other breeds, and what you like about them.

So state your breed of choice, what inspired you to obtain them, and why you like them.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

My first flock of mutts I got at auction, simply because I wanted Chickens - any chickens. The only one I really had a choice to pick from was the roo - Chicken George, who is pretty and a very sweet old man.

I next got chicks, and I wanted EE for the colorful plumage and maybe colorful eggs, and Black Australorps, because I heard they were cold hardy and sweet tempered. I didn't heat the coop last year at all - so I figured cold hardy would be good. They have a tougher time in the heat, but I worked on putting in shade for them.

My last acquisition was banties - OEG - I got some BB Reds and a pair of Red Pyle, and a free speckled oeg that was thrown into the mix. I bought these (I was looking for cochin bantam pullets - none to be found there) because they were so darn pretty and so fun to watch. The eggs are small - I can still eat them, buit it'll take a few more to make a meal. But, I'll repeat myself, they are So Darn Pretty!! LOL.

The little bb red oeg pullets all look exactly alike to me - I can't tell the dif at all. Not that they aren't pretty, just look alike. But - they all have this funny personality!! When I go into the coop they flock around my feet, peck my toes, look at me with quizzical looks as if asking what I got in my pockets for them.

I was taking pics yesterday and one in particular kept following me - she ended up in nearly every pic, I had to cut her out of most of them, so I could show the other chickens.

I guess mainly when I began the chicken thang, I was looking for docile, even tempered, good layers, heat/cold hardy birds. Pretty was a bonus. I got my layers, now I am going for banties, so I can have fun with the "toy chickens".

Not that my large breeds aren't just as spoiled and fun to be around, mind you.

Hope this explained something, LOL.

Peace -
    Meriah

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    First and foremost I have a preference for the larger breed, full bodied, sassy chickens.

I have always had a preference for Orpingtons. Not the every run of the mill hatchery orps. The exhibition quality birds are amazing. The golden girls are a feast for the eyes in the sparkling sunshine and on a green pasture. I love their big fluffy bodies and their friendly nature. I love watching them develop and fill out.

Falling for the buffs is only the beginning. I love the surprise of the BBS because you never know what color will hatch until - well, the egg actually hatches. It is always a guess and a surprise.

I love their little fluffy bodies and could never get tired of watching day old chicks in my brooder. [​IMG]

I also love wyandottes. They are a close second and hope next spring I will get a chance to raise some BLRW.

I also like barred rocks, RIR's, delawares, brahmas and just this morning saw a brahma roo that made me drool.

They are all eyecandy.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I chose the brahmas because I love their feathered feet. I also wanted a calm chicken (not flighty), heat tolerant and cold hardy, and I wanted a big chicken. I got all three color types because I wanted a variety. I wasn't sure about getting the darks, because in all the pictures I saw I didn't care much for their coloring. However, if I hadn't gotten the darks than I wouldn't have the joy of getting to know my Lil'Bit and she is my definite favorite.
    I got everything I was looking for in my brahmas. [​IMG]

5. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I purchased a bunch of chickens at a flea market and didnt really get to pick what I was getting. So I purchased the 25 brown egg layers baragin from mcmurray and 5 ee's, that way I could see different types of personalitys of different birds.

Ive noticed I love the Austrolops and the barred rocks personality, most of the ee's are mean to the birds and they are more flighty with us. The white rocks are sweet and but seem to be feathering out slower and my lil Cochin is awesome!!

I will definetly get more Austrolops and more cochins in the future

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my self blue d'Anver's because they are bloody perfection! [​IMG] They're from Dave Dunford, pretty much the best breeder, and they're my ace in the hole at shows. Unfortunately, the rooster has TERRIBLE fertility even though he over breeds his hens! So we'll probably be selling him after stockton and then keeping the two hens to continue showing with, because one of them has just about perfect type.

My bantam barred rocks are my babies. They are hard to perfect, but so easy to keep and they are all beautiful to look at. They lay wonderfully and are so easy to show, I usually just have to pluck a few black feathers and give them a wipe down at a show, maybe scrub their feet and presto, insta-show bird!

We're going to have silkies because they are sweet pets and also fun to show, and they will undoubtedly make us the most money as far as selling eggs and offspring of.

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Because they make me happy. :) If I can sit and watch my birds and just come away thinking "Man, I just love watching those birds." *sigh* then I know that's it. :)

I'm there with my ducks right now. I love my ducks. Love my silkies. Mostly love my cochins, but my son LOVES them and seeing it though his eyes makes it even better.

And then I have bantam blue laced red wyandottes coming. I loved our standards, they were gorgeous, but standard breeds intimidate me and the roo was aggressive to my son. SO I am hoping the bantams will be just as beautiful and make me just as happy. :)

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I like my Marans for their dark eggs and their laid back personalities.

My wyandottes I like for their color (BLRWs and Blues) and their lacing.

My Orps (BBS & a few buffs) I love for their fluffiness and colors

My Speckled Sussex are very friendly birds and they're probably the closest I'll ever come to a Jubilee Orp!!!!

My mixed laying flock I like just because I like chickens!!

9. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I frequented the feed store, especially once I bought my house and had a bit(about 1/2 an acre) of land to call my own. Mostly just looking for good country life equipment on sale and to pick up dog treats and such.

One day I go in there and they have little chicks, and ducks, etc. Cute but I was thinking more along the lines of, they are neat to look at for a few mins...

The next day I read an article about the rising cost of food and how eggs have already gone up 40%.

I think hymm, fresh eggs from my backyard and avoid this crazy 40% inflation? Just maybe. I read some more about them. Wife agrees this could be a good idea/fun. By the end of the week I went back to the feed store, then to the other one in town, wrote down all the breeds they had and looked them up. I picked the high production cold hardy ones. Bought all the starter equipment on Friday after work and had it all set up for them Saturday morning when I went back to both stores and bought me some chicks.

I started off with an ISA Brown, a RSL, and a Bantam.

Bantam turned out to be a Roo.

Replaced him with a RIR, when I saw them for sale very locally posted here on BYC!

Next I can't decide if I want some Barred Rocks, EE's, Quail, etc. Now that I know more about chickening and that I have a source besides the local feed store.

When I move to an area where I can have Roosters, I think I want to get some Jersey Giants. I figure the Roo's are the protectors, might as well get the biggest fella I can! [​IMG]

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I guess I should add something to my own posts huh?

I really enjoy Silkies because of their unconventional feather texture, and their interactiveness.

I'm an "unconventional" person myself, so the Silkie just kinda fit really nicely. I've raised Barreck Rocks, Partridge Rocks, RIR's, Buff Laced Polish, Silver Polish, Bantam Cochins, Japanese Bantams, and probably others that I have forgotten about in the past. But I have always enjoyed Silkies the most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by