Why do you keep your ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaurelC, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Egg Production

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Meat

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Pets

29 vote(s)
    82.9%
  4. Other (Please explain)

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    We will be keeping ducks for all of the reasons listed, but if it weren't for egg production, we probably wouldn't bother.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Garden help. They eat pests and weeds, make the best fertilizer I have ever used, are good company and absolutely beautiful additions to the garden.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can't find a better natural bug repellent for the garden, there isn't a slug ,snail, worm, snake, mouse, other creepy crawlies out there that can hide from the duck patrol. And they make me laugh, much better than therapy. I didn't mention eggs[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I got mine because they make excellent pets if raised properly and they are just so CUTE! I love love love mine:) And I absolutely love how they imprint on you!

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Eggs!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I keep my birds for pets but the dogs seem to enjoy the occasional scrambled egg.

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Slugs

8. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I keep them because I love them, because of their eggs, and because I'd like to breed them eventually. [​IMG]

9. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Pets. We originally wanted eggs & considered chickens. Ducks seemed cuter, smarter & to have more personality. We thought we might eat them at first but after they imprinted on me & I became duck mama, to whom they turned to for protection, I couldn't bear to eat them. I was just thinking that it is a good thing they are so cute and have so much personality because I guess it makes it way more bearable to deal with their super poopy mess. Their cute nature is endearing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I have 2 cute pekin ducks purely as pets. Adopted my first 2 ducklings a week before Christmas.
    They aren't old enough yet to lay eggs, but I'm not interested in eggs anyway. Probably just give them away or feed them back to the ducks

I love ducks, they are so fun to watch, they make me laugh. They are mega-cute as ducklings and don't grow up to be ugly
    They also seem to have a lot of personality.

Only downside of ducks is they are a waddling poop machine... I still can't believe just how much poop comes out of 2 small ducks in such a short period of time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by