Why do you raise chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WestVermont, Jan 3, 2013.

1. As a companion.... my pet is my child or children!

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Meat birds..... To eat

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Meat birds..... To Sell

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Layers...... For eggs to eat

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  5. Layers..... For eggs to sell

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  6. Breeding for profit

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Other

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Why do you raise chickens? How many do you have? How long have you raised Chickens?

I started out because I wanted an endless supply of eggs and now I am looking into breeding them. My current flock size is 26 but I will be giving some to my mother when they lay eggs (4 or 5). This is my first flock and they hatched Sept 12, 2012.

2. ShellLea

ShellLea Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Canton, Ohio
    I had to vote "Other." I got into gardening, and now chickens, because my family just seems too far removed from their food. When a child tells you that you can't eat real chickens, only fake chickens from the store, it's time to get back to basics!

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My first birds (at this location) were 7-9 month old roosters, 9 of them for $10, they were very successful at getting rid of the grasshopper problem, in 2 days! They made good eating! I know have many from old girls (that think they are retired) to 8 day old chicks. I love free range eggs, and I had forgotten that chicken actually has a flavor! That oldest hen better watch out I am getting hungry for chicken and dumplings!!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

An "endless supply of eggs" is a bit nebulous. If your flock is all the same age, at their second autumn, there is a good chance they'll all go into moult together and mainly take a few months off. No eggs. The only way to maintain a steady supply of eggs is rotate into one's flock a steady stream of new pullets. Just sayin'.

Enjoy the hobby.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Initially they were pets. When I was 10, we were visiting family down south. One of my uncles said "If you can catch it, you can keep it". Well that occupied my time all day. 6 hours or so I was stalking chickens. Mostly game, with some bantams scattered around. I cornered a little black bantam hen up against the barn, and actually caught her. Brought her right in the house to show off. Everyone laughed. My uncle says "Well what in the world are you going to do with one lil 'ol banty hen?"

My parents took us to a flea market the next day, and I bought some little black bantam chicks. The hen was nice enough to take them on and was nice to them. We converted the rabbit hutch to a coop, and every time I saw chickens, I'd add another breed. Had up to 53 on our urban lot, before it was trendy. Cochin, Frizzle, Silkie, Rosecomb, EE, Seabrights, OEG, mix breeds, whatever was cute. Piles of little bitty bantam eggs. Got my first incubator the next year. They free ranged, because we were the last house on the road and it backed a park. Now one street over, the last house there has peacocks and everything.

Since then, I try to always have a handful of layers. Right now I have 5. Great pets, breakfast too. I've only ever eaten the mean roosters. Haven't been able to eat a hen.

Now I have an appreciation for the rare breeds. For a couple of years now I've been fooling with shipped eggs and getting birds I can't find locally. The next breed will be Legbars. Haven't had any blue layers for awhile, been on a Marans kick. Though I have an opportunity for some Swedish Flower eggs locally. Always so many choices with chickens!

6. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Just found out myself that there is a rare white Cuckoo Maran... I want a few myself.

7. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Thanks for the info I'll have to look into that some more... but without knowing that I already had plans to get more.... meat and eggers. I would love to have hundreds and sell my eggs but as long as I live in town I will have to have less I guess...lol

8. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I started with three pets and eggs were just a plus, but because of chicken math I've gotten up to 21. The money that I get from selling the eggs helps to pay for their food now...
    [​IMG]

9. WestVermont

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    What do you mean by chicken math????

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You get some chickens and discover they are so much fun and you keep getting more chickens or you discover a new breed that you just have to have and get more chickens... basically it means you want more chickens! For example: I started with 4 chickens and stopped with 107 chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by