Why does a broody chicken eat her eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misty7850, Apr 15, 2009.

1. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I have 2 chickens that have gone broody. So I decided to let them set.
    My silkie was setting on 6 eggs, but a few days later, she only had one. My husband says he saw her pecking at one of the eggs.
    She also moves from the nest after a few days and starts setting on different eggs in another nest. Is this common behavior ?

I also have a black australorp who went broody, but she is on the nest for awhile, then off the nest for a while.. She leaves the nest for as long as 2-3 hours unattended. Is this common behavior ?

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I've had the same problem with broodies, if they aren't good at their job they tend to be a bit rough and break their eggs. Also if you have other chickens in the coop it could be that your other hens are fighting with your broody to use the nest and the squabble results in broken eggs. I don't think your hen is eating the eggs but if an egg breaks all chickens will eat it.

3. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    Thanks, I do have other chickens in the coop. Perhaps I should take them out of the main coop and put them in the smaller on. Right now that one is empty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by