why does cayenne pepper = better egg production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kari_dawn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I read that here on BYC alot...that giving cayenne pepper will boost egg production, start a late bloomer, and more...but WHY? Is there a scientific reason why this would work?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I think it speeds up their blood flow...which means eggs will get produced faster? Maybe?

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    hm...I didn't really think blood flow had a whole lot to do with egg production...there isn't something specific IN the pepper that causes it? I have not tried it on my flock, but I am almost compelled to...just to see what happens...but then again, with the days finally lengthening, who's to say it wouldn't coincide with increased production due to increased daylight right now...

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    where did you find that info, centrarchid, as it looks like you are quoting it? I would love to know more...so essentially, in theory if you were to feed an item high in vitamin A, you could achieve the same result?

6. Kaseykeepstrack

Kaseykeepstrack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    NW Arkansas
    I don't know about chickens, but I know a reason humans take cayenne pepper (encapsulated) as a health supplement, is because the primary ingredient (capsaicin) increases body temperature, thereby increasing metabolism.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If cayenne / paprika / chilli powders work, then I bet it does so when diet is dominated by low quality layer feed low in vitamin A. With some fishes and shrimp, the addition of such powders to feeds improves hatchability of eggs and may increase spawning frequency (= egg laying in hens) eggs of such fed animals have richer / more colored yolks as well.

My information, screwed up post during entry. I am a fish nutritionist by training and much of that related was either based on personal observation involving fishes or familiarity with scientific literature involving shrimp. We breed fishes indoors year round with most species conditioned using diets purchased off shelf. Until recently we had problems using off-shelf brands unless we added paprika, cayane or chilli powder (did not matter which). Female fish fed only the store bought feeds did not spawn as readily and often produced pale eggs that did not hatch well or resulted in larvae / fry / babies with congenital defects. Typical color of egg yolk is imparted by carotenoids which can be transformed into various pigments and hormone-like compounds with latter required for normal tissue differention. Adding the spices restored egg coloration and quality of hatchlings. Diets now on market much better.

This has not been worked out for all species but for those that have been studied, carotenoids can be transformed into the other types of vitamin A but not the other way around. Best route I think is feeding plant products rich in color which also tend to be high in carotenoids. Other pigments also involved but carotenoids are most omnipotent..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by