Why does everyone hang the water and food from a rope?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamakelly, May 21, 2010.

1. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Is there a reason that I see so many coops with the feeders hanging from a rope?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I helps keep them clean ~ if you sit them on the ground the chickens scratch wood chips and dirt into them. Also it can help keep rodents out of the feed.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I tried hanging the waterer once and the little stinkers kept trying to hide under it and tip it all over the place. [​IMG]

Now I put it up on a cinder block.

4. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Ahhh mine get pine shavings into their water all the time. I'll have to try and hang it when they move into the coop. Thanks!

5. patrickcromer@pstel.net

patrickcromer@pstel.net Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    i would put it on a cylander block i have had mine hanging forever but over the years it starts to leak so i now have them on bricks

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So they are raised up (less poo and litter kicked into 'em if they are hung at the height of the chickens' backs, no lower) and don't get knocked over.

However, truly HANGING waterers/feeders tend to spill, b/c chickens bump into them and they swing and tip.

IMHO the best arrangement (aside from wall-mounted) is to have your feeder and waterer up on blocks and ALSO tethered to something above them. So that their weight is resting on the blocks -- i.e. they can't swing -- but the rope or chain keeps them from getting knocked over.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can get the same thing by elevating them on bricks or blocks appx. back level of your chickens...keeps bedding out and help reduce waste of billing out the feed.

8. hearthnsoul

hearthnsoul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Because my arms just get so tired holding it up there for them [​IMG]

9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yep, hang the feeder by rope (easy to adjust) so all can gather round at the same time since they all want to eat at the same time when they come in. Easy to maintain the floor too. My feeder never swings while they are eating.

Waterer on top of blocks...I placed mine against the wall too. They don't belly up to the waterer all at once like they do the feeder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  10. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

We have put ours on bricks, but the girls still kick stuff into the water. I may build a little 3" high fence to go around the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by