why does it look like my 23 day mallard eggs has bruises?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm sure y'all are getting tired of my posts, haha I am too, but..I worry

I got a mallard egg due sunday, it's been moving up a storm, and once when I candled I even saw it move through the aircell, awesome!

the outside of the shell looks like it's getting "bruises" all over, it doesn't stink, so I don't think the baby died, it still rocks, I stopped turning today.

I am hoping it's because it's close to hatching?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was going to say either it has died or it is trying to hatch, so if it is moving, I'd say it's hatching [​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    if it's trying to hatch, wouldn't hatching three days early be bad?? [​IMG]

it was moving earlier today, I'll have to stare at it some more in a bit.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, first off, I'll claim to not know much, ok?! lol...but sometimes the warmth of the room they are in, or that the duck held the egg in a tad bit longer then the others, it may have started that growth and gave it a big boom when you put it under a nice warm lid.
    I had chicks hatch at 19 days and they were fine, and day 21 they were not developed.
    The heat in that area that you have the duck egg in may be a bit warmer helping growth to spurt.
    I learned that you need to move eggs from spot to another rotation to insure good heat.
    Good luck and sounds like your gonna be having a duckling soon!
    Congratulations![​IMG]

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    that makes sense, spook, you know I've set three of my mallard eggs this year, the first two I set it took about 9 days for the "spider" to even start forming, and they died shortly after, with this one, the viens were FULL by 7 days, I mean all over the egg, wich made me think it'd be a nice strong baby.

I just hope he hasn't died, or I'll I'll...I'll, just....cry in the corner

those bruise like things have been there since yesterday, and it's been moving still, sooo C'MON LIL DUDE

sad thing is, my love will be short lived, I can't keep it [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Duck eggs will pip anywhere from 2-3 days before they actually hatch most times, so no, it is not bad at all.

7. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Duck eggs will pip anywhere from 2-3 days before they actually hatch most times, so no, it is not bad at all.

ohhhhh, k [​IMG]

so anyways I held the egg for a few, and I felt some movement, least what I thought was movement from in the shell.

do you know how much I will freak if I wake up to a pip in the morning?, i'll be like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm probly getting ahead of myself eh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by