Why does my 8 week old chicken always miss the meal worm when he tries to eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by erous1, Jan 10, 2013.

1. erous1

erous1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Australia
    I have an 8 week old chicken (amongst a group of 7 of similar age). When I feed them mealworms, this one chicken always misses and always pecks NEXT to the meal worm. Does he have some problem with his eyes? thank you for any replies I can get.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    When he eats like scratch and such does he miss that too? I wouldn't worry about it either way as long as he is eating...perhaps he just needs slower foods. Watch out for lethargy and all those symptoms of something bad, but if he just has bad aim I wouldn't worry too much...that and even id his eyesight is the culprit there is no way to fix it.

3. erous1

Jan 1, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for your feedback misnu01. He manages to eat when he scratches. As you say, as long as he eats that's the main thing. I was just curious. It is a feisty little chicken. As you say, even if his eyesight is the reason, there's no way of fixing it as long as he eats. cheers.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I had a hen who always missed the treat in my hand. I came to the conclusion that she didn't see well. She was SKIDDISH too. If the wind would blow the gate closed, that bird could shoot 5 feet straight up in the air. She was funny. Unfortunately, she was a bully and beat up my BO on more than one occasion so I gave her away. I still miss her green eggs and desperately want to get more EE's but I'm already over my chicken limit. Darn chicken math.

5. erous1

Jan 1, 2013
    Australia
    THanks for that TheSpiceGirls. Yes, I think mine might not see well. Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by