Why does my Buff Orp sound like a sad KAZOO

tdog1973

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Illinois
Long time lurker, 1st time poster..forgive me I am having trouble figuring out how to upload a couple of short videos of my hen--if anyone can help me with that I will be forever grateful!! ;) My Hens and Roosters (free range) were out and about eating and foraging yesterday afternoon and I came outside to sit and watch and visit as we always do :) I had been out for a quite a while and everything was perfectly normal. As they like to come visit and get held and "petted" they all came up and bustled about on the deck at my feet. After a couple of minutes one of my 6 1/2 mo Buff Orp started doing this wheezing/hiccup sort of thing and I am just wondering what the heck is going on?? It happened just in an instant!
It sounds honestly like a kazoo there is nother way to describe it! I Wondered maybe a leaf or blade of grass or something is stuck in her throat vibrating? If that is the case, will it eventually become dislodged, disolved or is there something I should do to help her in the process? She is still making the kazoo noise this morning, she is eating, and walking around as if everything is normal but the sound is pitiful. Our basset hound follows her around with a concerned expression as well because she can tell something is not quite right with this little girl! My chickens are like children to me so I am praying everything is ok with her and this is nothing serious! TIFFANY
1f413.png

I have 2 very short 10 second videos to post showing her behavior if someone can direct me how to! I am using Iphone 6.

Thank you minihorse527 Hopefully this will work!! 1st link is yesterday when she first starting kazooing. 2nd link is this afternoon. She has added a bit of a bark??

Thank you minihorse927!! I have uploaded them and posted them in a reply!! Thanks so much for the help! They are being held for "moderation" so hopefully will post soon! :)

Yes either she has something stuck or she is developing a respiratory infection. Watch her for the day and see if it gets better. Usualy if they have something stuck they will get over it on their own. Check down her throat and trachea(the big hole in the center at the back of the throat).

Thank you! I held her tonight before roosting and she did feel a little "rattly" but I am still unsure if it is actually respiratory or if something is lodged in her throat/crop. She had been free ranging all day and even layed an egg for me. I checked on her while she was in the nesting box and she was NOT rattling/squeaking at that time!! ?? However when she is out and about it is constant KAZOO and the occasional hiccup/bark. Everything about her seems normal aside from that pitiful whine. Her comb and wattles are bright red, eyes clear and bright. Foraging running and playing with the rest of the flock. This evening when I was holding her I tried to assess where the rattle was coming from. It felt possibly lung, but also crop/throat ugh! I gently massaged her crop, it was not full, was soft and somewhat squishy. I could feel some grit etc. I was not able to look into her throat she wasn't interested lol! I'm wondering maybe just treat as if it is respiratory? have been reading up on remedies--should I use Vetrx? From what I can tell this is an all natural product. ?? I do not want to use antibiotics unless dire circumstance <3

Back
Top Bottom