WHy does my Cayuga do this ALL the time? (you tube link inside)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Danyelle, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Danyelle

Danyelle In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    My Lucky does this to my hands and fingers all of the time. At first I thought it was little affection nibbles because Lucky does it more often int the morning and during other "exciting times" of the day. It doesn't hurt at first but it happening consonantly kind of hurts. As Lucky (almost to maturity age to tell gender) has gotten older he/she started do the grabbing and tearing motions. I'm not surge if its from hormones, trying to be dominant, from me making the mistake to feed he/her out of my hand a couple of times or just affection.

Does anyone think this behavior will go away? We are very close, I've had Lucky since a hatch-ling, follows me around the house, still is very vocally upset when I'm not around, loves affection, thinks my lap belong to him/her. I just want to know why the nibbling thing is so persistent and almost hurtful at times.

Lucky is about approx 4 months old and is my only duck

2. Danyelle

Danyelle In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Please if anyone knows anything I'd love the opinion

3. farm316

farm316 Songster

Jul 28, 2014
    Does she have any mates to play with???

Se might be doing it too get attention, I have not ever heard of it, you might want to do some more reaserch

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have an audio with that, and a photo of Lucky's tail? Because that beautiful duck is acting like a drake that wants to engage in a romantic encounter.

5. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Songster

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Yep, looks like he/she wants to mate with you. I have a female Mallard that lives in the house with me and she just started doing this recently (at 5 months old), if yours is younger then it might be a boy. They can get pretty hormonal when they hit "puberty" and during breeding season. I've got a couple welts on my inner elbow where she likes to latch on sometimes. [​IMG] Also lots of scratches.

6. Danyelle

Danyelle In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Ok that makes sense! I assuming it was something along those lines. Lucky doesn't have any drake feathers, at least not yet.

There is only Lucky, I don't have any other ducks....actually Lucky is afraid of ducks haha, but I am always home and always have him/her with me so it would make sense that this behavior would related to the upcoming puberty stage.....sigh, my best friends way of showing "ducky" love is painful lol

Does this continue to happen after they get past that? Also how often, and long, are breeding seasons?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: