1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my chick honk like a goose!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by indego_88, Jan 18, 2009.

1. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    My 10 week old chick which we think definitly looks like a hen, started to honk! She sounds so strange and like a goose...
    Is this normal!?

2. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Ya.. I had a barred rock pullet that for some reason talked like a duck, naturally her name was Ducky [​IMG]

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I got chick not even a week old yet that sounds like a crow..kinda cute sounding though..I thought huh that don't sound like a chick..mabe your chicken is a goose, and the other one a duck and mine a crow..wow... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  4. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I have three hatchlings 10 weeks old, they are all "honking like geese". Cochin bantams, and hoping they aren't allllll roos, but sure seems like it. [​IMG]
    Isn't it sad that the boys act so badly that they can't even live in town with the girls.... shame shame

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have young pullet that make a loud honking sound and she has since was young. I think she is just a loud mouth

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    looks like this could go either way.. but my experience is that if they have that deep voice.. they are a roo!

7. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    So if my three muskateers have hi pitched sqeals when they crow, does that mean they might be pullets. {I ask hopefully} [​IMG]
    They sit at window ledge and Squeal like they are crowing every morning when the out door cock crows. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    um... no.. lol. nice try though. [​IMG]

9. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have two Russian Orloff pullets, Sasha and Sonja, that both 'honk'. It is their signature sound and they have done it ever since they got old enough to grow out of their baby 'peeps.'

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My babies honked from 14 weeks to about 20 weeks. Too funny!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by