1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why does my chick honk like a goose!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by indego_88, Jan 18, 2009.

1. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    My 10 week old chick which we think definitly looks like a hen, started to honk! She sounds so strange and like a goose...
    Is this normal!? Is it her voice breaking or something?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What breed is the hen? All of my dark brahma hens make a noise that is much closer to a honk than a cluck. Even my runt Lil' Bit has this loud honk that comes out of her tiny body; surprises me every time I hear her.
    If the hen is not congested or sick, I'd chalk it up to an individual thing.

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I have a rir and 2 br chicks that are 14 weeks old , and they started honking pretty young, about 8/9 weeks. The rir chick is the only one that still does it when she wants attention, my other chickens never did that. I think its pretty normal.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have one that honks louder than the peacocks!! LOL she scares the mess out of me when she does it right under my feet. BTW I named her Fran because she sounds like Fran Drescher laughing loud

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    One of my bantam mutts honks.

6. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    hahah its pretty funny... im going to make a video of it!

My chicken is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. Heres a picture-

[​IMG]

7. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    My BR is a honker. Her honk is so tragic-sounding that it always makes me want to go mother her. I think that I'm hurting her social standing by picking her up and petting her so much.

8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I think a lot of chicks honk as their voice goes from peep to adult. To me it sounds like a party horn...

9. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a rir that honked midway through a cackle. Funny. Merry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by